fcp doesn't want to reconnect files?

Posted by thekingofboggle 
fcp doesn't want to reconnect files?
February 05, 2007 02:01PM
i have a sequence that we had to export almost shot to do some after effects work on. i was hoping to be able to render each shot out of after effects with the same name as the original clip and just reconnect them to the original edit. but when FCP searches for files to reconnect, it doesn't find the newly rendered ones even thought they have the same frame rate, codec and name. I can force it by manually selecting the file if i turn off matching names or if i switch it from video files to all files. but doing this manually would take too long. what is it that the clips are seeing that looks different than the original files? is there a way to make this work?
Re: fcp doesn't want to reconnect files?
February 05, 2007 02:15PM
> i was hoping to be able to render each shot out of after effects with the same name as the
> original clip and just reconnect them to the original edit.

I don't think it's a good idea. Never have clips with different content but the same name. If you happen to drag the old, non-FX version of the clips to the same location, you could overwrite your FX clip.

A better way to do this is to use the original clip name as a prefix:

10-01-02

And the AfterEffects version is:

10-01-02 FX v01

When I plug FX shots into my timelines, I never try to reconnect to them -- I just cut the clip into the old location as if it's a new shot.

www.derekmok.com
February 05, 2007 02:34PM
i wouldn't normally do it tis way, but we have some weird circumstances. the fcp project is very contained and the original edit is out of the picture now, so there is no concern of losing the original files. i really just need to have dcp reconnect to the new renders, any ideas?
February 05, 2007 06:44PM
As the previous poster mentions, this is not only a bad idea in terms of workflow, but it is not even possible under many scenarios. The normal workflow is to import the final AE comp into FCP, and overcut it into your sequence. It will almost definitely need rendering in FCP anyway (depending on how it was output from AE).

You can use Replace edits to speed up the process in FCP. I have an article at kenstone.net on the subject: [www.kenstone.net]

Hope this helps.

Andrew Balis
Lead Final Cut Pro Instructor
www.moviola.com
February 06, 2007 02:57AM
still, i wonder what it is that is different about the files' names?

have you turned on "show extensions" in the finder?
that's in Finder preferences (Apple ,) > Advanced.

this could be a deal killer, too:
if the files out of AE don't have the same Timecode as the originals it wont work.
would they keep the original TC?
or would they all be starting at zero?

the methodology is to have the new files in a different location,
which isn't TOO hard to manage.
i have done this myself with large slabs of a show that needed a grading effect.
but that was done via FCP,
where i added filters and exported as QuickTime movies (which keep reel# & TC).
the graded rushes lived in a folder called "Graded Rushes" (no prizes for originality)
the original files were moved to a folder called "Ungraded Rushes"

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics