Moving Project files and capture scratch

Posted by J.Corbett 
Moving Project files and capture scratch
February 06, 2007 10:48AM
i have a few projects at work in fcp. i also have a new drive (pci-x) that i want to use for fcp only.

is it possible without a hole lot of tedious reconnects to move my capture scratches to the new drive? i mean i know that i will have to reconnect most of the files. i also know that if you have a bunch of files in one folder that if you connect 1 you connect all needed in that folder.

is there a program that can look at a project then reference all files to needed to view that project?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Moving Project files and capture scratch
February 06, 2007 11:11AM
The Media Manager is specifically designed for this task. Since its a tad buggy, make sure you don't choose the "move" options in the MM, instead do a copy. Here's a link to an article at kenstone.net that details this solution: [www.kenstone.net]

Make sure you choose to select everything in the Browser before choosing the media manager. In MM, choose Copy > do not check box for delete unused media > and make sure you choose to copy the project. Once the copy is complete and its verified, you can delete the original media files and project on the original drives. When you first open the new project that's been copied, do not move the file to another location before opening it- or the media files will be offline. After the project is opened once from the copied location, the project can be re-saved wherever you want and the media will stay connected.

Andrew Balis
Lead Final Cut Pro Instructor
www.moviola.com
Re: Moving Project files and capture scratch
February 06, 2007 11:13AM
Media Reconnect is a lot less tedious if you do it by hand. What slows you down during that process is that if you choose the automatic function ("Search" instead of "Locate"winking smiley, then for every file FCP fails to locate, it will search your entire computer. If you know where the files are already, use Locate and navigate to the right folder. It's really not all that time-consuming if your file management is good and you use the "Reconnect All Files in Relative Path" function.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics