Bad sound on DVD

Posted by Tinkerbell 
Bad sound on DVD
February 06, 2007 05:00PM
I edit on an eMac, G4, 1ghz processor, 512mb ram, OSX 10.3.9, FCP 4.5. I compressed my timeline to a quicktime movie, then encoded it and burned a dvd in Toast 6 (I don't have iDVD.) My client only hears hiss; the video is okay. No one else has this problem with the DVD. My friend tried to burn a DVD for the client on a PC from the same footage and the same thing happened - bad sound.
Could it be how I shot the footage? I was recording on a Sony TRV-950, no external mike attached. I don't recall if I have a 12-bit or 16-bit audio choice. Help! These folks are really upset and I would like to get them a dvd. Thanks!!
Re: Bad sound on DVD
February 06, 2007 05:24PM
If no one else has the problem it's not your fault. Have the client play the DVD on another DVD player. Obviously from the way you describe it, its the clients DVD player.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Bad sound on DVD
February 06, 2007 07:01PM
<<<My client only hears hiss...bad sound. >>>

It's important to be crystal clear when troubleshooting. You don't have bad sound. You have no sound.

You appear to have carefully avoided using any Apple software to make the DVD. That may be a mistake. iDVD would have crashed if the sound was wrong and DVDSP would have either warned you or offered to convert the track to something proper.

I'm ripping through my memory of problems like this and I can't come up with any trouble that could cause this. I also do it backwards. If I wanted to *create* this trouble, how would I do it? I know they're upset, but they need to try a different player, or play the DVD in one of their laptops. The most information you can gather, the better.

Even if they have a really old DVD player, the picture would have crashed.....

My head hurts. I can think of ways to get this symptom, but it would affect almost all players, not just one...

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics