Usually the answer is staring you in the face, but

Posted by filmman 
Usually the answer is staring you in the face, but
February 13, 2007 10:28AM
how do you recognize it? FCP 5.04 is a fantastic movie making tool, it's just a matter of experimenting sometimes.

I asked a question that nobody answered:

Is it good to go back to 23.98 after editing in 29.97 ? And the answer is yes.

Every question I've even asked in this forum could've been answered by reading the manuals or by experimentation, but what makes this forum great is the sharing of ideas -- the generosity of the members of this forum who try to help everyone who comes here.

There is so much instruction in this program that Mike has developed that I can simply do a search and most of my questions are answered. But there are always new ways to solve new problems. There are new developments and new software. Learning is a lifelong process.

So my question is really about preserving "film look" when a movie is shot on film already. If we start out with 24 fps, and digital editing is more practical in 29.97, shouldn't we always finish with 23.98 even for DVD release?

And shouldn't we convert to 23.98 in FCP before we output to DVD even if we've shot the movie in 30 fps or 60 fps? That is if we're going for the film look...

Thanks for any comments.
Re: Usually the answer is staring you in the face, but
February 13, 2007 01:09PM
If it really is a simple matter of film look and you have no intention of doing a film-out then going back and forth between 23.98 and 29.97 is a waste of time. Simply apply a film look to your movie. There are lots of ways and they are in the FAQ.

How do I make my Video look like Film?

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Usually the answer is staring you in the face, but
February 13, 2007 04:40PM
Yes, don't confuse film look with 24/30 conversion. Conversion between 23.976 and 29.97 does everything in its power to smooth the transition by splitting fields, etc. A show that started out looking like 23.976 should still look like that after conversion--or conversion back.

FilmLook is a combination of gamma shifting, color manipulation, flicker simulation, in some cases motion blur, etc, etc,.

Make me look like Eastman Kodak 5298 no matter what speed it was shot.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics