OT - thoughts on youtube

Posted by wayne granzin 
OT - thoughts on youtube
February 15, 2007 05:32PM
could we possibly make a rule here - NO MORE POSTS ABOUT YOUTUBE!

you tube is crap. 98% of everything on youtube is senseless crap. and in addition to the fact that its a very good example of why american culture is totally in the crapper. - a GREAT DEAL of its content falls into some form of copyright infringement.

love, wayne.
Re: OT - thoughts on youtube
February 15, 2007 05:47PM
Maybe thats true but....
You'll be seeing alot more of the YouTube type of video services. Everybody wants in on their idea of serving video, be it community based, open for abuse and inovation or closed and targeted to specific demographics.

I just finished helping someone upload a submission to the On The Lot show. The specs are pretty skimpy (minimum 320x240, less than 200MB) and you can tell it is going into a meatgrinder of flash compression. You get no idea how to make the best use of your available pixels and seeing as it's a contest you can't take a few kicks at the can until you get it right.

It's almost like we're looking at a new broadcast standard but everything you drop off as deliverable gets put through some mystery process that craps all over your signal and you have no idea how to make it better. We need to pool the info till we get some idea of how to make it better.

The copyright issues we can skip over with the ol' "it's a tech forum, you won't get help with your bootlegging here" but Youtube is the wind and you are the reed - bend or break?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 15, 2007 05:58PM
LONG LIVE YOUTUBE!

:l

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 15, 2007 08:30PM
Here's what i wish, people woud continue posting quality video as well, too many people use low band width streaming video, with horrible compressiona nd ask you to look at it

I had a potential client post some chroma key material he did a test shoot, he snet me to this link that was streaming video (you tube quality) and he wanted me to give him my thoughts on cost/and time and what i thought of quality. How the heck was i suposed to tell?
February 16, 2007 10:44AM
My son just completed a survey by a consumer goods company. YouTube, on-line gaming chat and other emerging/new media were mentioned in the questionare. GM recently reduced their ad spend by $300 million--most of it in TV. If we hope to remain competitive and ahead of the curve, we too must look to emerging mediums, and at the very least, be aware of them. When a client comes to me and mentions viral video and wants to know if I can do it, you can bet I want to be able to say, yes, with confidence.

Chet Simmons
Las Vegas
February 16, 2007 11:40AM
Years ago when I was a regular over on Avid.com, the posts used to say "NO MORE POSTS ABOUT FINAL CUT PRO". They thought it was a sub-standard NLE that would never amount to anything and they were tired of answering questions about the emerging competition. I love closed-minded people... I'll take all their clients in a heartbeat tongue sticking out smiley

Chet's on the $$$. I, too, like to remain flexible and not "high & mighty" about emerging technologies & trends. Who knows... the "movie theater" could head the way of the dodo in 10 years. Film as a medium is already on it's way OUT forever (sorry...it is a FACT).

Youtube is just a baby. Sure the video quality is the worst, but just wait until the pipe gets fatter and the quality gets better. That's when they'll start charging you to post...and you WILL pay!

It's a great time to be alive if you are a Techno Geek like myself. MORE POSTS ABOUT YOUTUBE!

- Joey

February 16, 2007 12:11PM
YouTube is genius, the creators deserve thier money. It's the new age of video delivery. Just as the iPod has allowed anyone to do a podcast, so the video podcast / YouTube style website allows anyone to have their "production" found by people accross the globe and viewed on tv. AppleTV is here and it (and other computer/TV solutions) is changing the way viewers get content. When the novelty wears off, good production will be just as important as ever. More people/companies now have the opportunity to have thier video on TV. This all translates into more work for us. And more importantly, some of the videos on YouTube are actually funny. Do a YouTube search on "Ghostride the Whip" and get ready to be amazed at how stupid people some are.
February 16, 2007 12:25PM
<<<Youtube is just a baby. Sure the video quality is the worst>>>

Anybody else around for the early color television broadcasts?
[Ralphing into waste paper basket]

<<<YouTube is genius, the creators deserve thier money. >>>

And who else solved the Universal Web Video Distribution problem? How many people do you know that can't "see" YouTube?

Koz
February 16, 2007 12:30PM
ok if someone could actually point out some actual "value" in youtube (other than sheer novelty) i'd be willing to reconsider my point.

i dont see where any of this is such a "revolution" it's really just noise as far as i can see. a podcast is nothing more than a downloadable file that simply downloads without you having to do so manually. the only thing thats revolutionary about youtube is that broadband is now prevalent enough that any john q public can now post videos of their neighbor being kicked in the nuts or their brother eating a booger...

thats not genius, its boredom.
February 16, 2007 12:30PM
I think it's a mistake for people to link YouTube to the film industry. YouTube, like MySpace, is not a successor to traditional filmed entertainment. It's a "lifestyle" product. People who surf YouTube aren't doing it in lieu of watching a DVD or going to the movies; they are two separate ways to pass time -- you would never ask a date whether s/he wanted to come to your place and watch YouTube! You wouldn't do that even if the quality were as good as the BMW shorts or the Apple trailers.

The whole mindset of YouTube is different. It's not about high quality -- consumers have proven time and time again that cost is a greater factor than quality. Laserdiscs never took hold because nobody is willing to pay $100 for a single movie. DVDs soared in a very short time because they were cheap and had acceptable quality, and they were compact. Consumers are a little pickier about picture and sound quality when they have to pay for something, but even then, I'm willing to bet that if YouTube charged a $20 annual fee for membership, users wouldn't expect posted videos to have better quality. (Now, if it's $20 a month, that's a different deal)

So no, I don't see YouTube's quality going up to the level of professional film or television production. It doesn't have to. If YouTube were to manage to stream broadcast-quality media, then broadcast quality would go up as compensation. And as much as kids might look at the quirky, crappily shot videos that other kids make, they have an entirely different mindset when they're going to the movies with a date, or buying a DVD, or playing a video game. There's no way kids will accept YouTube-quality picture and sound if they were playing a $50 XBox game. They subconsciously switch to another mode of "I want to be entertained"; it's not the same as when they're just cruising YouTube looking for things to look at. Most of the pieces on YouTube are worth one look, maybe two -- not the same as owning a Star Wars DVD or a video game kids spend months cracking.

The thing I see that will change YouTube in a much more drastic way is that copyright watchhawks are now paying attention. I belong to a large group of YouTube fans, the nostalgia hounds. Where else could you find One Dove's music video for "Breakdown" from 1993? Or old episodes of the legendary Japanese anime, Doraemon...but in Cantonese? (Lots of people from Hong Kong grew up with Doraemon.) Not to mention all those homemade "tribute" videos, mostly bad, and almost all of them using copyrighted music without permission. As those pieces get taken down, YouTube's content suffers. I know I was spending hours on the site when I found out it even had impossible-to-find music videos of Shelleyan Orphan. Those have now been removed. These days, I just skim the site a bit and I don't expect to find anything I like.

www.derekmok.com
February 16, 2007 01:05PM
<<<(other than sheer novelty)>>>

Don't dismiss sheer novelty. "I could have done that in my garage!" But you didn't, did you? Nobody else did, either. Even I can predict the past. Tell me what the *next* YouTube is going to be.

Let's go over to Fred's house. His dad got a new Color Television!!!

<<<it's really just noise as far as i can see.>>>

Yeah. This silly internet thing will never catch on....

Koz
February 16, 2007 02:43PM
<< How many people do you know that can't "see" YouTube? >>

My client can see it. He just paid me alot of money to make a video for the sole purpose of posting it on YouTube : )

If we're going to rip on something, let's rip on the new "chat room" language that I still can't figure out. jk! rotflol!
bj
February 16, 2007 02:55PM
Youtube has its purpose.
Look at this very cool invention.
A round expanding table.

Bet there isn't a person here that doesn't think that is neat.

Bj
February 16, 2007 03:23PM
> A round expanding table.

Great for catching your fingers in, too...or some other more delicate, paired, tender part farther down south.

www.derekmok.com
February 16, 2007 05:05PM
Hi All

I think YouTube is Great--I think the amount of Jobs for editors -camera people and crews
are going to Explode in the near future because of YT -Google Video ect--

I am learning Everything I can about it now--
I want to be at the top of the wave -not in the spray -

Sure there is mostly just silly videos on there now but this is changing rapidly --
Large companies are seeing the huge amount of eyes there and are shifting
there budgets to it --

Also companies like Bobs Trusty Used Cars and Joes Fix a Drip Pumbing are now
going to become your clients because they can Now afford to pay to have commericals
made because Air time costs them Zero --

The possibilities are endless-- Ebay now allows a video to be linked to
there pages-

Bussiness like Newspapers will need to have video crews so that the
have Video of the news events and not just typed words --

I think Video on the net is going to Compleatly change the
way the net is used and looks--

In a year or two we will be looking back at the net and think-WoW
we used to have to read and type all that stuff--
How 20th century--Jay--
February 16, 2007 09:42PM

thats not genius, its boredom.

You seem to be the only one here that thinks it's a waste of time, wayne. Everyone's pointed out very different & valid points. If you don't see the value, nobody's going to convince you.

It's freedom of choice, man. There's a very old & profound saying:

"If you don't like it... change the channel"

There's an even more profound saying from Adam to Eve in the Garden of Eden:

"Stand back, honey...I don't know how big this thing's gonna get!!"

Life (& progress) goes on... and YouTube's going to get even BIGGER - like it or not.

- Joey

February 16, 2007 10:39PM
A lot of YouTube is boredom...all those home movies and feeble "tribute" music videos. Bound to contribute to sinking editing styles down the toilet. But hey, nobody told us to watch every single thing on there.

www.derekmok.com
February 17, 2007 11:10AM
I like youtube; I've been able for the first time to post my trailers on the web and place the code on my website where they'll play for free. Until youtube came along I had to pay $200 per month to put my trailers on the web (which I didn't).

But the fact remains that the quality of production is going to go down. People get accustomed to poor quality and accept it after a while as the norm.

In fact good camera techniques are now old fashioned and undesirable.

I think there are a lot of legitimate points in this thread.

But who can predict where this technology is heading? Koz is right :-) Show me how I can get 1,000,000 people to visit my video on youtube and I'll give you an award.

I have a youtube page but not many people find it. Why?

[www.youtube.com]
tc
February 17, 2007 05:05PM
Here's The Wave Of The Present:

[www.joost.com]

These are the guys responsible for Kaza'a and Skype- so they aren't kidding around!
There's also an article in the Feb `07 issue of Wired magazine.

My 2¢: Surf it if you can, or get a mouth full of sand!

The times they are a`changin'. Just like always.

Cheers.

tc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics