OT: MiniDV vs. DVCam

Posted by newptfot 
OT: MiniDV vs. DVCam
February 21, 2007 11:31AM
I have been covering a church seminar for several months shooting XL2 mini DV, upon missing a few weeks the other church videographer shot DV Cam. I was amazed at the quality difference between the two formats, sharpness and seperation of subjects from back ground. All footage from both cameras had the exact same lighting and stage. This was my first time comparing the two formats, am I seeing this right, or is there something I can do to improve the XL2 shooting, I do white balance etc.
Re: OT: MiniDV vs. DVCam
February 21, 2007 11:37AM
I don't think it's that likely you're seeing a difference between the two formats. More likely is that the other videographer used camera filters, different techniques, or exposure.

www.derekmok.com
February 21, 2007 11:56AM
I'd lean more towards perhaps the other camera had better CCDs, too.

deb
February 21, 2007 12:28PM
what was the other cam?
February 21, 2007 12:33PM
not sure what the other camera was , they just gave me the tapes to edit and put on DVD, and asked if I could work with tapes from a DV Cam camera. I will find out what the camera was, the biggest thing I noticed was the image edge sharpness.
February 21, 2007 12:35PM
I think you'd find if you were to do a test shoot of both miniDV and DVCam on that same camera, the difference would not be nearly as dramatic between the two.

It all comes down to the lenses and the chips...

deb
February 21, 2007 01:14PM
Nobody is beating down the door to praise the optical quality of the Canon lenses. That and yes, the quality of the format does improve, too. It wouldn't surprise me if you saw both at the same time you would spill your coffee.

Koz
February 21, 2007 06:03PM
I agree. The difference is most likely the quality of the camera, not the format.

February 22, 2007 06:54AM
Excuse me for butting in but there is NO difference between DV and DVcam relating to the files. It's digital. The tape speed and helical angles are different; 40 min vs 60 min. per tape. The audio in DVcam is "locked".

So, quality issues are the results, as stated above, of other characteristics of the cam, lens, filters, settings like edge enhancement etc.

Phil in Indy, IN

Phil Cramer
Indianapolis
February 22, 2007 07:19AM
Hey Phil, that's not butting in. That's contributing. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics