Playback Problems

Posted by kulcha 
Playback Problems
February 22, 2007 10:46AM
Hi Guy, I am having problems with my playhead. For example when I put my playhead on a clip in the timeline it does not show on my external monitor. Also if I try to superimpose a clip on another clip i only see one clip on my eternal monitor. Any advise regarding this problem would be most grateful.

Regards
Kulcha
Re: Playback Problems
February 22, 2007 11:22AM
were going to need more info:

- how is your external monitor connected?
- what format are you editing?
February 22, 2007 11:47AM
Hi Wayne, The format is DV Pal. It not so much a playback problem, its more of a playhead problem. I want my playhead to follow what I am doing. My external Monitor is connectioned via my camcorder.
February 22, 2007 12:03PM
> The format is DV Pal. It not so much a playback problem, its more of a playhead problem. I
> want my playhead to follow what I am doing.

Actually, Kulcha, Wayne is right -- it's a playback problem.

Look at the FAQ:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
February 22, 2007 12:03PM
#8 External Monitor Viewing.

Shane's Stock Answer #8:

A simple path is mac > firewire > camera or deck > rca cables > tv

Then start up your camera and tv, then open fcp.

Then go View > External video > all frames
Video playback should be Apple firewire NTSC (If you are using an NTSC set)
Audio playback should be Audio follows Video

Techinially, this should send synched video to your TV

If for some reason you can't view your timeline on your external monitor, there are a few things to try:

1) Make sure that the camera/deck is connected and powered on BEFORE you open FCP.

2) In the Final Cut Pro menu select AUDIO/VIDEO Preferences and make sure your signal is being sent out thru Firewire DV.

3) Go to the menu and select VIEW>EXTERNAL>ALL FRAMES.

4) Click in the % box above the image and select FIT TO WINDOW.

5) Go to VIEW->refresh A/V devices

6) Make sure the Log & Capture window is closed

If you want it to play in both the canvas and the external monitor you need to go to the FINAL CUT PRO menu and select AUDIO/VIDIO settings and make sure MIRROR ON DESKTOP is selected under the PLAYBACK OUTPUT section

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 22, 2007 12:22PM
Hi Guys, When I place my playhead on a clip in my timeline my external Monitor still shows me what is in the viewer window. When I scrub over the clip on the timeline it scrubs in my canvas window but does nothing on my external. Also I am trying to create some basic graphics using a logo on a matte white background, but again on my monitor I can only see either the logo or white matte instead of seeing both, why is this. HELP! PLEASE!
February 22, 2007 12:40PM
what kind and model of camera are you using?
February 22, 2007 12:57PM
i dont think this is the answer to your problem. but just to be safe. under the view menu > external video - is it set to "all frames"?
February 22, 2007 01:05PM
If External Video were off, you wouldn't see what's in the Viewer either.

I'm guessing your Sequence Settings are wrong. The Viewer plays because the media itself may be compatible with what you're doing. But perhaps your sequence is set to NTSC, or has the wrong frame rate.

Select one of the clips that plays externally and press APPLE-9. Note all the settings. Now select your sequence and press APPLE-0. Do all the settings match?

www.derekmok.com
February 22, 2007 01:45PM
Hi Guy, I am using a Sony mini-dv camera DV in/out I have been using this camera to capature footage for the last 6 months and have had not problems. I have done all the check suggested to me and still not joy? I must of changed a setting by mistake but can't find it for the life of me. When I place my playhead on a clip in my timeline my external Monitor still shows me a blank screen, then I load a clip into the viewer and it shows me that ok, but when I scrub over a different clip in the timeline it scrubs in my canvas window doesn't scrub on my external monitor it only show me the clip I have loaded in the veiwer. Also I am trying to create some basic graphics using a logo on a matte white background, but again on my monitor It show me what is in the viewer, but in the canvas window it shows me the basic graphic created but doesn't show it on the external again the external is showing me what is in the viewer. HELP! PLEASE!
February 22, 2007 01:59PM
Kulcha, please stop reposting your question over and over. The thread is active and people will pitch in. But it's very annoying to get pummelled with the same question over and over.

Give the forum time to answer your question.

www.derekmok.com
February 22, 2007 02:41PM
quit out of FCP, trash your preferences and relaunch.
February 22, 2007 03:43PM
Can you talk me through trashing my prefences wayne. I dont want to throw away important stuff. Thanks
February 22, 2007 04:03PM
Go to the FAQ. A how2 is in there.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 22, 2007 04:32PM
" Also if I try to superimpose a clip on another clip i only see one clip on my eternal monitor. Any advise regarding this problem would be most grateful."

are you seeing both clips in the canvas?
have you adjusted the opacity of the top clip,
or it;s composite mode?

check the "view" menu at the top of the canvas.
it looks like a tiny viewfinder.
make sure you are on "image" & "RGB"
i don't think this is the problem, but it might be worth checking
(if you have trashed prefs they will probably be set to this, as they are the default states.)

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics