Unable to Import m2vs into Quicktime or FCP HD 4.5

Posted by writestuffla 
Unable to Import m2vs into Quicktime or FCP HD 4.5
February 24, 2007 09:23PM
Hi, Everyone,

I have a problem trying to converta a m2v file into a quicktime file. I can import the associated sound file (aif) into FCP HD 4.5, but the system says "File Error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown. I get a similar type of an error message when I try to import into quicktime. The aif file and the m2v files have corresponding filenames. I'm at a loss. Help!
Re: Unable to Import m2vs into Quicktime or FCP HD 4.5
February 24, 2007 09:45PM
Use QuickTime Player or MPEG Streamclip to convert the MPEG-2 into another format before importing it. The FCP4.5/QT6 combo (what I use) doesn't allow you to import a DVD-ready MPEG-2 into FCP; not sure about FCP5/QT7. MPEG-2 is not considered an editable format.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Unable to Import m2vs into Quicktime or FCP HD 4.5
February 24, 2007 11:06PM
<<<The aif file and the m2v files have corresponding filenames. I'm at a loss. Help!>>>

Those are the two Elemental Stream files that when imported into DVD Studio Pro, will produce a movie DVD. The m2v file is a classic MPEG2 compressed video stream and yes, indeed, you can't edit it--or at least not easily or conveniently.

MPEG2 uses temporal compression which means it compresses time. Only every fifteenth or twentieth frame in an MPEG stream is real video, the rest of them are small bookkeeping files and you can't cut them.

I think you need the MPEG2 plug-in for QuickTime Pro to get all the right tools and conversions.

I think DVDxDV will do it, too.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics