FCP crashing

Posted by mediahead 
FCP crashing
February 27, 2007 07:27PM
Hey, I am having trouble with FCP 5.0 on my OS 10.4.6.
It works when I open it in my Administrator setting but it crashes when I try to
open it when I log into my computer as another user.

FYI: I can open other aps and they work.

Any ideas? Thanks
Re: FCP crashing
February 27, 2007 07:56PM
Is your scratch disk(s) and project folder(s) set to a drive that the user accounts cannot access for read/write?

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 27, 2007 08:35PM
It's possible you have a scrambled persmission issue. Start the machine from your install CD (hold C during startup) and launch Disk Utilities. Launch Repair Disk and Repair Permissions for the startup drive.

Koz
February 27, 2007 08:46PM
Thanks Ben. That didn't work so I set up a new user. That did the trick.

Wish I knew why the other user didn't work. Have any more ideas?
February 27, 2007 09:00PM
cool... thanks Koz. I will try that when I have the time and CD in hand.
February 28, 2007 06:02AM
Hey guys

You don't need to boot up from the CD in order to repair permissions.

Mac HDD>Applications>Disk Utilities

? Select the System disk from left pane

? Click Repair on Right top pane

? Click Repair Disk Permissions

For a good system clean though its best to get something like OnyX, which will clean all the caches and repair permissions, check SMART status as well as host of other system processes.

[www.versiontracker.com]

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 28, 2007 07:18AM
<<<You don't need to boot up from the CD in order to repair permissions. >>>

No, but I believe neither Repair Permissions nor Repair Disk will touch files that are open and running which is quite a pile in a normal system. Best to boot from somewhere else and run them.

<<<best to get something like OnyX>>>

Is that the one you use? I'm simply using tools already available on a normal system. I run "periodic" manually, too, since none of our machines are up at 4AM.

We got burned by free tools that told us our Systems needed "cleaning."

Koz
February 28, 2007 09:58AM
You might be right about system disk repair but I gather permissions can be done regardless.

Even so the FCP ones wouldn't be running if you don't load FCP up.

I don't use MacJanitor or Cocktail anymore but OnyX is a good alternative to running thing manually and does a good job.

I haven't have any problems with it on the PPCs or Intels.

Ben

Its good to at least check your system everytime you install new software. I personally check disks and system at least once per month and repair as necessary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics