Broadcast standards

Posted by J.Corbett 
Broadcast standards
February 26, 2007 11:54AM
i have alwways used dv ntsc for most of my projects. they tell me at comcast that they can convert this to what they need.

i am guessing that this convertion is to ntsc broadcast sd.

if i am correct about the convertion then shouldn't i be doing all of my projects in this codec if thats where they are going?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Broadcast standards
February 26, 2007 11:59AM
Most likely they are talking about converting to Digibeta or whatever they use, and if they are offering to do it, then let THEM do it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 26, 2007 12:01PM
If you are shooting DV then the only benefit to editing in uncompressed NTSC would be better looking titles and fades. Balanced off against the extra cost of SD hardware.

Moving up to shooting NTSC uncompressed would be a fairly hefty expense.

I would also guess that whatever "comcast" is, they are converting to NTSC then squeezing it to some sort of mpeg2 transmission stream....ugh.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 26, 2007 12:11PM
More likely than not they're converting it to MPEG-2 into a .m2t file for transmission.

All the best,

Tom
February 26, 2007 08:07PM
Comcast is one of our local Cable TV suppliers.

I agree completely. If they volunteer to convert your shows to their standard, ask them what kind of chocolate they like and buy them some. They are also probably converting sound levels as well as the delivery method for the video. Everybody forgets about that.

Most clients throw your video on the floor is it doesn't meet their specifications.

Koz
February 28, 2007 03:14AM
Koz
They are also probably converting sound levels as well as the delivery method for the video. Everybody forgets about that.

what do you mean by delivery? method. what are we forgetting?

i probably don't know, so therefor i am exempt from forgetting:-)

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 28, 2007 04:00AM
Broadcasters convert whatever format you give them into an MPEG-2 format that they then stream from their satellite.

HOW? Dunno...ask them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics