How Are We Liking DIVX Compression?

Posted by rockin ron 
How Are We Liking DIVX Compression?
March 10, 2007 12:12PM
Hi All

I've heard that DIVX is becoming popular for internet compression

Does anyone agree?

I've seen a standalone DIVX compressor, Mac only, has anyone used it?

thanks all

great being part of lafcpug
Re: How Are We Liking DIVX Compression?
March 10, 2007 07:20PM
I've seen some excellent DIVX compression - it's been one of the standards for those bit torrent downloads of tv programs for a couple of years. It's capable of nice pictures and small file sizes, but it's not that simple to play - at least on a Mac - not sure about PCs. You used to need a couple of additions to your standard software to get it going, and that's also the bane of great codecs like H.264. Not everyone can automatically see it.

March 10, 2007 08:04PM
<<<I've heard that DIVX is becoming popular for internet compression >>>

No doubt from people interested in pushing the popularity of DivX. DivX is an offshoot of the MPEG4 family of fine compressors--an early one. It's closely allied with the Windows Media compressors since they both grew up in the same neighborhood and played stickball on the same streets.

Unfortunately, it's also closely associated with theft and copyright infringement.

[en.wikipedia.org]

It should be possible to encode MPEG4/H.264 and do very nicely in a standard encoding format. DivX, at least in our world, takes extra stuff to get it to work. If I was going to fall off the H.264 wagon, I would buy the licenses for Flash--another MPEG4 offshoot--hands down. Who's going to argue with YouTube?

Koz
March 10, 2007 08:49PM
Nope...not me. I am a Sorenson / H-264 fan.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 11, 2007 07:44PM
Agree with above.

DivX was great but now there is h.264.

I am only guessing here, but it is possible that more people are able to play DIVX than Quicktime though, being a PC format making it suitable for internet distribution.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
March 11, 2007 08:07PM
My experience is consistent with what everybody's said above. And one more thing -- downloading DivX to my QuickTime folder to enable playing that codec also seems to have messed up the operation of Safari. You start getting a "Can't create semaphore lock" error in Console, and loading web pages slows down considerably.

I suspect DivX because that error (and slow Safari) disappeared when I had to replace my system drive. But when I encountered a DivX file I needed to play, and downloaded the components, voila -- the problem comes back.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics