do agents exist for film editors?

Posted by dom 
dom
do agents exist for film editors?
March 17, 2007 09:15AM
Hi guys,

So actors always use agents, are there agents for our fine breed as video editors?
If so, does anyone recommend any in hte following cities:

London
Los Angeles
New York
Sydney

Thanks for your help and time

Dom.
Re: do agents exist for film editors?
March 17, 2007 11:18AM
Of course. Same as with actors, directors, Cinematographers, etc. Generally agents find you, you don't find them. Meaning, once your hot, they come after you.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2007 12:21PM
...in CA / NY maybe an agent "finds you". My market (Florida), there's no such thing.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 17, 2007 07:22PM
In Australia you could register with someone like Top Technicians [www.toptechs.com.au], but I find work mostly happens via networking.

You could also hook up with the Australian Film Commission, or the New South Wales Film Commission - join the Australian Screen Editor's Guild, or for a more international strike rate, check out Mandy [www.mandy.com]

March 18, 2007 03:17AM
I've gotten more inquiry through my Mandy listing than through any agent!

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Set a multi-parameter Motion FX Keyframe with Control K !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 19, 2007 05:58AM
Hi There

Here in London we have [www.sohoeditors.com] they are also Apple certified trainers.

Derek
March 19, 2007 10:21PM
Don't know how true this is but I have heard here in LA that agents don't get you much work as an editor, it's more of an ego thing to have one.
March 19, 2007 10:44PM
Agents dont necessarily find you work. They negotiate and speak on your behalf and field offers. It is when you are not hot any longer that good agents in full service agencies can help find you work.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 20, 2007 04:27PM
Okay gents, I have a question that goes along with this idea of "how do you get work" - "do you need an agent".

I've NEVER seen a post for narrative television or studio feature films (two categories I have yet to get into in my career) on any job board. I am currently cutting network reality TV, international commercials, and independent feature films - but other than hanging on to the coat tails of independent directors that I have worked with, I have no idea how to transition into bigger markets.

As a young editor I always thought that was what separated Avid and FCP editors, and perhaps that still rings true, even though FCP is "catching up".

I've also heard stories about how "back in my day you had to work your way up from being an apprentice editor". But I haven't even seen posts for those positions (Again, I am only talking about network narrative tv and/or studio feature films). And as a working editor, I am not sure I could go back to assisting.

I have considered joining the union, now that I have enough credits, but does that really help beyond health care and retirement plans?

This post has gotten me to think that maybe it's that bigger productions don't post adds on Mandy, or any other job board because negotiations are all done behind closed doors with agents and producers. Agents have their feet in doors that the average editor couldn't get into.

Now I realize that 90% of work in this town is from "who you know" - so like I said, I currently keep my director friends close, waiting for them to get bigger and bigger budgets! But I'd love to hear from anyone who has pursued the "editors dream" of "the promised land" and how you got there.

In the mean time, I'll keep cutting as much as I can get my paws on, building the reel, gaining the experiences, and trying to rub elbows with the big players in some hip LA eatery!
dom
March 20, 2007 07:32PM
Well said Rick! Thats where I'm coming from entirely!
March 21, 2007 09:16AM
Thats a very good point just keep trying to look around on the web for other opportunities and try get as much work experience in the field as you can.

Beatsuite.com - Royalty Free Music - Production Music - Flash Loops
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics