Playback issue- firewire related

Posted by Loren Miller 
Playback issue- firewire related
March 19, 2007 09:40AM
I don't think this is a bug, but how to avoid it, aye, that's the rub.

I thought I'd share this 5.1.4 issue which cropped up and see if others have encountered it.

Here's my capture setup:

Deck- DSR-40
Device control- RS422
Image and audio - Firewire 400 into Tower bus.
Tower- G4 Dual 800 w 1.25GB RAM.
Media Storage- Firewire 800 into PCI host adapter card, slot 4 (bottom).

After capture --which has been a little dicey, I must say, with lots of sensitivity to DV cassette TC breaks which don't appear to be there-- I then use this setup to play out through the deck to client monitors.

And that's when the fun begins-- I get periodic audio dropout.

And more fun: when I disconnect the deck Firewire, the dropout disappears, playback is normal.

Damn! I really need client monitor and audio playback!!

FCP 5.1.4
QT 7.1.3
MacOSX 10.4.8

TIA

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Set a multi-parameter Motion FX Keyframe with Control K !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: Playback issue- firewire related
March 19, 2007 10:58AM
Happened to me too last edit. I am pretty sure its a QT issue and was "solved" with 7.1.5. What I did was simply do a restart and all was well for a good period of time and then it would start agai. Then I'd restart again.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 19, 2007 06:38PM
Interesting!

In a semi-related issue, this from today's MacFixit :
===

Problems capturing video in Final Cut Pro 4.5.

It appears that the ability to capture video in Final Cut Pro 4.5 is broken for many users under Mac OS X 10.4.9. Users with this version of Final Cut Pro are experiencing either dropped frames or completely interrupted captures in most cases.

The only solutions to this problem appear to be a downgrade to Mac OS X 10.4.8 or an upgrade to Final Cut Pro 5.x.

As pointed out by MacFixIt reader Mitchel Cohen, Apple's discount upgrade to Final Cut Pro 5, interestingly enough, ends today (March 19th).
==
That -- as Secretary Kitts states when discussing the 18 hours of static in CONTACT-- IS interesting.

- Loren

www.neotrondesign.com
March 19, 2007 07:12PM
Ouch. We should broadcast this one in the hope of stopping people before they upgrade. Actually, I will do a new thread for it. Thanks Loren.

March 20, 2007 01:00PM
Mine feels like a deck issue but it never happened before 5.1.2 and 5.1.4.

I've also taken off 422 device control to try and isolate the issue. That certainly wasn't it, still dropping out.

I've now tried two identical LacCie 250 GB 800/400 externals, so I doubt they're the issue. Again, timelines play media from these drives just fine when the deck is disconnected.

Anyone else have an older Sony DVCAM deck connected to drive a client monitor from 5.1.2/5.1.4 with QT 7.1.3, under 10.4.8?

I have found this thread from a month ago-- also a DCAM deck-- my symptoms are identical. But I'm testing one drive on a card, no more. And still I'm getting dropout.

- Loren

www.neotrondesign.com
dd
March 22, 2007 01:51AM
Ok. I have a powermac dual 1 ghz (quicksilver model). I just upgraded to Tiger 10.4.5. I have Final Cut Pro ver 5.0.4 (planning to move to 5.1 shortly).

It now seems there is a problem with Final Cut Pro (and ONLY Final Cut Pro) being able to "see" a firewire device. I have a couple FW video products (Sony PD150, Datavideo DAC15 converter box, and neither one of them is being recognized by the system (I connect only one these one at a time, by the way). All other general firewire peripherals (hard drives, ipod, etc.) continue to mount normally. Is it possible that FCP has been rendered "blind" to firewire video devices, apparently as a result of my upgrade to Tiger????

I was on os x panther 10.3.9 prior to this today and FCP/firewire worked fine.

Any suggestions? Many thanks for any help.

dd
March 22, 2007 01:59AM
#30 - Deck recognition after Tiger Upgrade:

Shane's Stock Answer #30:

[docs.info.apple.com]

The workaround is to download Quicktime *manually*, after removing the "receipts" which indicate that it is loaded. Specifically, I was told to do the following:

1. Navigate to Library -> Receipts on your main drive (not from your personal folder).

2. Remove all files of the form QuickTime*.pkg, where "*" is a version number. E.g. QuickTime600.pkg, QuickTime650.pkg, Quicktime700.pkg and QuickTime701.pkg. This simply tells your system that those packages are not installed.

3. Go to [www.apple.com] and click on the "download Quicktime" link. DO NOT USE THE AUTOMATIC UPDATE UTILITY. Download QuickTimeInstallerX.dmg. Double click this file (probably on your desktop) and then invoke the installer by double clicking QuickTime701.pkg.

4. After your computer reboots, you should be able to restart FCP and see your camera.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
snap

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics