What happens to a messy track when you export from FCP?

Posted by filmman 
What happens to a messy track when you export from FCP?
March 25, 2007 11:24PM
I'm exporting a self-contained movie from FCP 5.

I have about 16 tracks.
The first 6 are silenced.
The last 10 are in single tracks,

The 7th is a music track, single channel aiff

the 8th and 9th are effects track, 2 mono channels

the 10th is a sub-mix of the dialogue, single track

the 11th and 12th are original dialog tracks, double channels

the 13th and 14th are bits and pieces of effects, double channels

the 16th is a partial mix, single track aiff

What happens when I export them like this together with the picture tracks as a self-contained QT Movie?

Thanks for your help with organizing my tracks.

I don't know if FCP 5 will mix these tracks the way they sounded to me when I was putting them together?

Are they going to end up as stereo or double-channel mixed?

Or are they going to end up as a hodge-podge of single and double tracks with sound coming out of one speaker and the other without any semblance of a mix?
Re: What happens to a messy track when you export from FCP?
March 26, 2007 12:21AM
I think it may depend on the export. H.264/AAC will cheerfully do 8 right out of the box. So will linear PCM.

Koz
March 26, 2007 01:15AM
No, I don't want to export for the web.

I want to export a full version for DVD encoding.

I want to be able to get a good stereo mix from my 16 track mess of single and double channel soundtracks.

I've never created such a big mess before. I always kept my tracks as two double channel tracks, usually mono ... because when I capture a movie from a telecined 35mm film, I end up with two mono tracks.

But that's another thing.

Now I'm dealing with a 4 minute promo which has gone through the ringer as far as changes are concerned.

There's narration on a single track.

There are bits and pieces of pre-mixes of scenes that were completed and approved.

Then there are additional scenes with stereo tracks thrown in.

Now I need to figure out, can I mix all this in the FCP timeline or should I export to Soundtrack Pro and do a mix there?
March 26, 2007 01:22AM
<<<export to Soundtrack Pro>>>

I'm no fan of STP. but I have tried to cut sound in Final Cut before and it compared favorably to a root canal, so STP it is.

Koz
March 26, 2007 03:39AM
Thanks for helping out, Koz. I had to finish this job and deliver it tomorrow.

I ended up mixing in STP.

Ever since I upgraded my programs online, everything works differently.

Now, when I have a muliple clip project in STP, the sliders move by themselves according to what I set the levels in FCP -- can you believe that?

No matter how I try to prevent them from doing that, I can't. I have no control over the levels or the panning.

The only way I was able to mix the four minute trailer was by opening in editor and then manipulating the filters there and finally saving the changes for each individual clip and then going back to the multi-track view and then exporting.

Oh, well, I need to start another thread in STP, because there are a lot of issues relating to how to use STP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics