1080i Jaggy on DVD

Posted by MediaConcepts 
1080i Jaggy on DVD
March 27, 2007 08:05PM
Hey,

I just edited a 1080i video shot with a Z1 and edited using FCP and the Apple AIC codec. I exported to Compressor using SD 16x9 Best settings. The SD DVD's video is jaggy. Is it a field order issue or should I deinterlace.

Funny, I used the same settings when I did 720p and the DVD looked great.

Thanks,
Joe
Re: 1080i Jaggy on DVD
March 27, 2007 10:06PM
You're missing several important numbers. 1080i-what? 720p-what?

23.976 tends to downshift and convert pretty well to NTSC. 29.97 and 59.94 may give problems. 24.00 may have sync issues. We assume you're in NTSC and you didn't start with PAL.

Koz
March 28, 2007 07:12AM
Sorry about that.

1080i NTSC 29.97 shot with a Sony Z1. I captured and edited with the Apple AIC codec, which I now find out from this forum that I should have captured and edited in native HDV.

Anyway, I just want to make a SD DVD with DVDSP that looks good. I played the DVD I made on an ED Plasma and a HD LCD and it's jaggy. I played it on a $80 RCA TV and it looks great.

Thanks,
Joe
March 28, 2007 05:32PM
TVs tend to follow the scan rates of whatever is handed to them. Panels and other computerized displays have to sample, subsample or supersample. Interlace issues pop up immediately when that happens since you start getting doubled or dropped fields.

Deinterlace.

Koz
March 28, 2007 05:59PM
Could you tell me the best way to deinterlace? I tried it with compressor and it said it would take about 500 hours. Then I tried it with Quicktime yesterday and it's still exporting. This is on a G5 dual 2gig with 3.5 gigs of ram.

Thanks,
Joe
March 28, 2007 06:10PM
MediaConcepts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could you tell me the best way to deinterlace? I
> tried it with compressor and it said it would take
> about 500 hours. Then I tried it with Quicktime
> yesterday and it's still exporting. This is on a
> G5 dual 2gig with 3.5 gigs of ram.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
You can use the Nattress "Smart de-interlace". I've used that some and it works pretty well. A (slightly) faster option is to run it thru MPEG Streamclip. With that, you can de-interlace while doing your downconvert.
March 28, 2007 06:32PM
TimJBD Wrote:
> > Joe
> You can use the Nattress "Smart de-interlace".
> I've used that some and it works pretty well. A
> (slightly) faster option is to run it thru MPEG
> Streamclip. With that, you can de-interlace while
> doing your downconvert.

Thanks Tim, I'll try that. Luckily I just bought the Big Box of Tricks last week!

Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics