Out of Memory or gerneral error

Posted by FB999 
Out of Memory or gerneral error
March 28, 2007 02:05PM
I am getting this message although I have plenty of memory on my 1.2 TB ( 375 GB remain) and my 500 GB (39GB) -

Now I have had a problem with capturning clips -they freeze for one or 2 seconds and are out of sync.

Running 4.5 on a dual G5 867

thanks

FB
Re: Out of Memory or gerneral error
March 28, 2007 02:26PM
> I am getting this message although I have plenty of memory on my 1.2 TB ( 375 GB remain)
> and my 500 GB (39GB) -

Actually, you're not talking about memory -- you're talking about storage. Memory is RAM.

Second, your drives aren't as free as you think. The rule is that you need 10 per cent free, barest minimum, not to mention the fact that a 500GB drive usually only has 492GB or so of actual usable space. So your 500GB drive has sailed over already and will start causing you problems, not just within Final Cut Pro. Free up some space; you should have no more than 450GB on that drive.

Finally, are you using Capture Now? Check System Settings - Scratch Disks for the options "Minimum Allowable Space on Disk" and "Limit Capture Now to". The former governs how much of a safety cushion FCP will allow. Don't ever set this to 0; filling up a drive to 100 per cent full will most likely fry it. Most people use 1000-3000MB) when capturing. The latter ("Limit Capture Now"winking smiley governs how much free space is allocated when using Capture Now. If you set this up to high, FCP will hog a huge amount of disk space on your designated Scratch Disk the minute you click Capture Now, because it has no idea when you'll stop the Capture Now. Leave this at 30 minutes or so, ideally.

www.derekmok.com
March 28, 2007 02:37PM
You will get out of memory errors if using characters such as / in your clip names. Same thing is trying to use CMYK images instead of RGB. And what Derek said.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 28, 2007 09:05PM
You can also get digital insanity if your System Drive runs out of space. Same rule. 90% full before it starts becoming instable.

You're partially right, by the way, OSX doesn't see the jump between physical memory sticks inside the machine and hard drive space. That's why a drive problem anywhere in the machine has the same effect as pouring Bosco Chocolate Drink on the memory sticks while they're running.

The error messages don't see any change, either. It's all one big pile of "memory" to them.

But we know better.

Just to cheer you up, there was a posting a bit down the forum where there actully *was* a broken memory stick inside the machine. One of the dignostics that came with the machine found it. But that's not normal at all.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics