importing p2 files

Posted by geepeepee 
importing p2 files
April 02, 2007 11:23AM
Howdy fcp group! I'm new in this final cut world having come from DS for the last four years and smoke before that. But, I do own a mac at home, so that's not an issue. The system I'm working on now is brank new OSX 10.4.8, Dual-Core Intel Xeon, etc.

I am having some trouble importing mxf files from a p2 HD shoot. Many of them come in fine. But, certain ones just will not import and lock up the software everytime. I've tried moving the p2 files to my "Huge" storage and even to my hard drive and then importing, but same problem. These clips play fine in the import browser viewer. Yes, I am highlighting the entire folder so that I get the lastclip text file. Is this a bug? Anything I'm doing wrong? Is this typical? Thanks for any thoughts anybody has on this.

Geo
importing p2 files
April 02, 2007 11:26AM
-- moved topic --
Re: importing p2 files
April 02, 2007 11:43AM
Are you mounting the P2 cards over firewire or capturing them into a PCMCIA slot?

Another question is what version of FCP are you using? As I understand it, 5.1.2 had some problems that 5.1.4 has "fixed".

Lastly, when you say certain ones will lock up the software everytime, please explain what window(s) you are using.
April 02, 2007 02:11PM
OK.

Using 5.1.2 final cut.

Copied files to firewire drive from camera and then copied files to hard drive.

Window? Do you mean the interface? This is in the fcp import p2 browser where you can add to queue and play the clips before you import. It's the adding to the queue where they are supposed to start importing where some, not all, lock up the software or I get a "unknown error".

Thanks
Geo
Re: importing p2 files - Shane?
April 02, 2007 04:38PM
First, I recommend that you update the 5.1.4 and then see what happens. There are stories of all types of P2 import issues with 5.1.2.

Shane Ross may have other ideas as he is also experienced wih P2 imports.
April 02, 2007 05:33PM
im on version 5.0.4 and ive never had a single p2 issue
Re: importing p2 files - Shane?
April 02, 2007 10:59PM
I am shin deep in snow in Bozeman Montana...

In the import window...towards the top there is a little SPROCKET menu. CLick on that, and select PREFERENCES. Make sure that REMOVE DUPLICATE FRAMES is not selected.

If still giving issues, download FCP RESCUE (http://www.andersholck.com/fcprescue/) and run it to trash preferences, and try again.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics