Computer repair/FCP compatibility 5.0 and 5.0.4

Posted by Lisha 
Computer repair/FCP compatibility 5.0 and 5.0.4
March 29, 2007 06:21PM
Hello to all,

My computer has been in the shop since March 5th. When the tech booted up my computer it would not boot up. This did not sit well with me since it was working fine when I brought it to them, aside from the loud fan. The tech said I needed a new logic board and that a loud fan is a symptom of a failing logic board. They put in a new logic board and the computer still won't boot up. They suggested a new processor. After putting in a new processor, it still won't boot up. Now the tech is suggesting that the logic board they first tried was a bad logic board and they are going to try another logic board. My hard drive is fine. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

I work between home and work, switching firewire drives between 2 systems. The data on my G4 hard drive (still in the shop) is being transferred to a G5, which I will use at my home office. The company doing the repairs on the G4 has told me that I will have to reinstall Final Cut Pro and possibly other applications onto the G5. When I reinstall FCP onto the G5, I will be at version 5.0. Can I work between 5.0 and 5.0.4 -- system at work is at 5.0.4? I recently moved and do not have DSL at home yet.

As always, thanks in advanced!
Lisha
www.badamitv.com
Re: Computer repair/FCP compatibility 5.0 and 5.0.4
March 29, 2007 06:33PM
Sounds like you may have picked a "Shop" that is not competent to fix a computer correctly!

Please mention the name so no one else goes there!

No, you can not go back and forth between 5.0 and 5.04 but why haven't you updated the 5.0 to 5.04? Get the 5.04 combination updater at work and bring it home on a CD or DVD disc.
March 29, 2007 06:35PM
Twenty-four days and still no diagnosis? Which "shop" did you take it to? It doesn't seem like a reasonable amount of time to fix a computer. I'd look into another repair place...and hold off on payment until you get a second opinion.

www.derekmok.com
April 03, 2007 10:24AM
Thanks guys!

Does it seem strange that the computer was working fine, except for a loud fan and then when the "shop" tried booting up the computer it would not boot up? I mean, literally, I was working on my computer, did one more edit before shutting down, took it to the "shop", the shop had it for about 5 days before calling me and saying that the computer would not boot up. Aside from a loud fan, there were no signs of my computer being sick. I am wondering if the shop may have done something -- accidental, of course-- and that is why my computer is no longer booting up. Or am I being ridiculously paranoid?

The "shop" is waiting for the 2nd logic board to arrive from Apple. It is out of stock. Once everything has played out, I will post what ended up happening and the name of the "shop". I am working on a loaner G5 supplied by the "shop". HOWEVER, they were unable to transfer my data on my G4 hard drive to the G5 they loaned me. Their first attempt at a data transfer failed and since I needed to get to work for a deadline, I told them to forego the data transfer and just give me a computer with FCP loaded and ready to go.

Any recommendations on where to go in Los Angeles for Macintosh repairs? Suggestions on where not to go are also welcomed!

As always, thanks in advance!

Peace,
Lisha
www.badamitv.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics