Export Quicktime conversion...

Posted by mrshow555 
Export Quicktime conversion...
April 05, 2007 04:52PM
I'm just wondering if anyone would mind explaining some of the setting in the export quicktime conversion window for me so I can actually understand what it is that they are doing...

Video

Frame reordering - what is it and what do I need to know about setting it on or off?

Key Framing (the compression one not the effects one) -what is it and what settings are best for what footage? I noticed the default is 24, but when would be a time we would change this? When using 29.97, or 30p, or 60p footage should we be using a differnt number? In what situations would I use the Automatic, Every ___, or All settings?

Audio

I'm familiar with the Linear PCM and AAC but what are the other options and when would I want to use them?

Prepare for internet streaming- I assuem I only need to check that if the clips are going online? Otherwise leave it off?
Re: Export Quicktime conversion...
April 05, 2007 06:27PM
<<<I'm familiar with the Linear PCM and AAC>>>

We assume you know what MP3 is and AC3 is the popular way to encode 5.1 surround sound. AC3 is handy because you can also encode AC3 stereo and leave the big, space hogging PCM out of your DVDs. This produces more room for your video.

<<<Key Framing >>>

Key Framing should be Auto. A key frame is a full, undamaged video frame. It's used as a reference for all the compressed, differential, and processing frames that surround it. You need more of them the more action you have in your show. You can try to tune that yourself, or you select multiple pass--auto and let the program figure it out.

<<<Prepare for internet streaming>>>

Doesn't that say "Fast Start," rather than "Streaming?" In any event, yes that's useless unless you go on line.

<<<Frame reordering>>>

I'm fuzzier on this one, but some compression methods send video frames in a convenient, efficient order whether or not they appeared that way when you shot the show. I don't have a recommendaton.

You can get a lot better explainations if you settle on one compression method and find out about the variations on that rather than shotgunning compressions from many different codecs. For example, I think Frame Reordering only appears in one or two codecs and they're ones I never use.

Also, your destination makes a huge difference in the compression method that's appropriate.

Koz
April 05, 2007 06:49PM
Whenever I export my sequence with compressor and use the Dolby AC3 setting, the final DVD that comes out of DSP seems to be way lower than it is when I use the AIFF setting. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Also what about the other Audio compressors like A-Law 2:1 AMR Narrowband etc.... that are listed in the export>quictime conversion>settings>Audio section? There's also a Little Edian, Floating point, and Unsigned checkboxes at the bottom under sample size.
April 05, 2007 08:02PM
<<<Is there something I'm doing wrong? >>>

Lower case "wrong," not upper case WRONG. Misinformed, not evil.

I think there are settings to get rid of that and I'll remember them any minute now.

AC3 has audio compressors that kick in and out to make the theater experience pretty much complete--in other words, make the two heros whispering to each other come out in real, actual volume and then when the explosion interrupts them, you put your whole Starbucks on the ceiling from the impact. Regular audio transmission systems won't do that. It's too much dynamic range.

Most of the time for us, it gets in the way.

I'll pick this up when I get home.

Koz
April 05, 2007 09:06PM
Hooooome.

There was a thread on this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

See if that helps--and do write back with your experiences. I don't always have good access to a machine to try this out myself.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics