DVD conversion?

Posted by DM 
DM
DVD conversion?
April 07, 2007 09:06PM
I can't sem to remember what program it is that will allow me to convert DVD's back to DV and edit.
I thought it was DVDit but maybe not?
anyone please
thx!

final cut suite 5.1.4
intel mac
DM
Re: DVD conversion?
April 07, 2007 09:15PM
Actually, to further this, what I only need to do is take a couple of existing DVD's and use them as extra viewing material in a DVD that I'm authoring. I don't think I need to edit them. Just be able to insert them in an "extras" menu.

thx
April 07, 2007 09:23PM
Right there in the FAQ:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
DM
April 08, 2007 12:13AM
Gracias.
April 08, 2007 12:33AM
DVDxDV does the job. But it's not very slick. And the price ain't even close to right.

There's also Mpeg Streamclip, which is free, but not as user friendly.

I've got my eye on VisulaHub but haven't tried it yet.

- Justin Barham -
DM
April 08, 2007 09:49AM
thx for the reply
DM
April 08, 2007 11:09AM
Thx for the reference to Streamclip.
Turned out that the DVD x website is not responding. Downloaded Streamclip. Not user friendly. Finally got it working for me.

thx again
April 08, 2007 12:04PM
DM, if you use the "export to DV" option youre ghoing to see a good deal of quality loss.

choose photojpeg OR animation compressor at 100% quality and you'll be a much happier person.
DM
April 08, 2007 05:15PM
Oops.
April 08, 2007 08:14PM
yeah. many people think that streamclip is for wahatever reason, not user friendly. and i think that's largely due to all those export presets in the export menu seeming confusing. bue they are all just presets from the same export window. any one can be changed to whatever else you need it to be.

it's pretty easy, set in pont, set out point, export, select setting, done.

NOW, there is one caveat. ist is notorious for clipping off ends - such that you need to add 3 to 4 seconds to the in and out to be certian that you get the part you want. i use it for extracting clips from mpeg discs from attorneys for depositions. and what it exports is fairly often truncated. so simply adding 3 or 4 sec to the in and out assures that ill get the part i need with sufficient handles.

as an added bit of advice its advisable to "repair timecode breaks" before working with a clip. simply a matter of APPLE+F and it'll take care of that.

with all of this said, i think streamclip is still WAY better than dvdxdv
April 08, 2007 08:33PM
Another suggestion. When you bring the converted material into FCP. Use modify timecode and add TC to it. Streamclip doesn't. If you don't, when you break up your material into say subclips, all the subclips will start with zeros. Adding the timecode will break the subclips into pieces based on the QT added to the clip. Just makes it a little easier to work with.
DM
April 09, 2007 10:51PM
thx for the reply's
April 09, 2007 11:13PM
> Another suggestion. When you bring the converted
> material into FCP. Use modify timecode and add TC
> to it. Streamclip doesn't. If you don't, when you
> break up your material into say subclips, all the
> subclips will start with zeros. Adding the
> timecode will break the subclips into pieces based
> on the QT added to the clip.

Good point.

Also Streamclip is handy for muxing/demuxing, as well as viewing/downloading/converting .flv (Flash) files.

It's a must have IMHO.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics