create mp3 from within compressor??

Posted by clay 
create mp3 from within compressor??
April 16, 2007 03:46PM
Without getting into a discussion about the merits of AAC vs MP3, etc, I'm wondering if it's possible to setup a preset in compressor to convert audio to mp3? I see AAC, WAV, AIFF and several other codecs, but not mp3.

I know that I can open up the audio file in itunes and convert to mp3 quite easily, but I'm looking for a way that allows me to do all my encoding (audio/video) in compressor.

Am I missing something, or is this really not possible???

thanks
Re: create mp3 from within compressor??
April 16, 2007 04:29PM
A few days ago I wanted to convert an aiff file to mp3 and I wasn't able to do it in iTunes. It only allowed me to covert to aiff.

(I tried to do it in Compressor 2, but didn't find anything about mp3). Maybe it's called MPEG Layer 3 or something?

Is it in Preferences that I can set iTunes to convert to mp3?
Re: create mp3 from within compressor??
April 16, 2007 04:59PM
iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>Importing

Set it to mp3 with desired quality settings. The option to convert to mp3 will be then available under the Advanced menu.

As for doing it in Compressor, I don't think there is a way. There is no MP3 option under Audio formats when you try to alter settings. You can still do batch encodes in iTunes at least but I know that's what you were trying to avoid...

JK

April 16, 2007 05:57PM
MP3 is a managed format. A license fee must be paid to either Fraunhofer or Thomson for the purpose of encoding MP3 using their technology. They are the mommy and daddy of the format.

There is an open source encoder available called LAME. The free Audacity audio production program makes you download and use LAME in order to produce MP3-compliant files. If they did it internally, Audacity couldn't be free.

I have an audio program that has a Fraunhofer license. The control panels read a lot like MPEG2. You can choose all sorts of quality and shortcut values.

LAME, on the other hand, has those controls, too, but can be a little scattered as befits an open source project. LAME is reputed to work really well at high quality levels blowing everybody else out of the water. At low quality or small file sizes, you might want a Fraunhofer license.

The reason I bring all this up is that LAME will run from the command line:

> lame myfile.aiff myfile.mp3 -h [enter]

That will produce one high quality MP3 file and I don't see any reason you can't put batch commands in there to run on multiple files by itself.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics