suggestions for a multi-frame rate project

Posted by onestooge 
suggestions for a multi-frame rate project
April 30, 2007 11:46PM
I am editing a project that will need to be broadcast standard.

Shot in DV:
some 29.97 (different cameras)
some DVX100 24p normal
some DVX100 24p Advanced

Captured
in FCP 4 (not sure how, it appears 29.97 NTSC only)
withe a Panasonic AG DV2500 deck

Editing
I am using FCP 5.0.4

The filmmaker wants the 24 to maintain the highest quality as possible, as it is the POV of the stars, and the 29.97 is the documentary that surrounds them. So in deciding what is best for the 24 gets preference.

I was wondering:
1. Do I need to recapture everything in 5 (& if we use 6 to finish, would we need to recapture again)?

If so, could I use the already captured footage just for an assembly, then batch capture the needed parts?
or, if I need to recapture, is there a way to tell if the tapes are 24p or 24pA, as I cannot tell on the tape or in the camera.

2. What preferences should I use for working in the project (workflow):
Sequence 23.98 or 29.97?

What setting would be optimal for the decision?
Importing settings
Sequence settings
Playback settings
Export settings

How is the best way to get one frame rate into the other different frame rate sequence ad still look good. (...feel free to direct me to a tutorial if there is one specific to this; keep in mind the suite I am working on does not have cinema tools.)

I noticed some of the footage looks really interlaced. Could it have been imported incorrectly?

(What should I look at in the item properties)

What setting should I try importing it with for the DVX100 pulldown issue if I go into 29.97?

3. While working with 2 formats, is there a way to not corrupt the cadence so it will still be broadcast quality after I export (please ignore if the 2nd answer covered this by the preferences or import settings)?

4. If I am off base with my thoughts of getting it all in 1 ideal place and cutting, then what would you suggest if you were working on this problem(besides just taking another job)?

I know I am asking a lot, but any answers to anything would be helpful as I am used to working in straight DV only.
Thanks a million.
Re: suggestions for a multi-frame rate project
May 01, 2007 10:45AM
Yes, you are in straight DV but with 2 different frame rates. For display in SD for broadcast you will need to end up with everything at a 29.97 fps rate. That would mean to me thart all your 24p footage will need to be converted to 29.97. Now the DVX100 captures even 24p in 29.97 on the tape, as I understand.

Perhaps you can downconvert 24p to 29.97 in camera much the same as an HVX200 can downconvert SD to DV in camera?

Throwing together a final output from clips captured haphazardly is a tough way to finish a movie. It is someone's job to figure out how all the captured material will fit togeher; certainly not the editor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics