FCP Renders, the XSAN, and a pain in my arse...

Posted by nat* 
FCP Renders, the XSAN, and a pain in my arse...
May 09, 2007 11:11AM
this may be more of a networking issue - but i dont know...

First computer: 2 x 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon
4 GB ram

Second computer: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
3 GB ram

'Connected' to XSAN via Fibre Channel - version 1.4.1

Both computers are running the same exact version of FCP -

I create a project and a sequence on the G5 - all capture and renders are all going to a folder on the XSAN - and I save the project on the XSAN

I open the same project file on the Dual - and make sure all the settings point to the same folders on the XSAN
I do more work to it, render it and save the project file - the same name and same place as I had with the G5

I go back to the G5 - open that same project file - and the sequence shows/acts as if there has not been a render.

I seach for the render file that was created from the Dual - and it is not found - anywhere. But the project is asking for a particular file that "should exist".

Any ideas??

A pain - it cost me over an hour in re-render time.....argh.

Thanks.
Re: FCP Renders, the XSAN, and a pain in my arse...
May 09, 2007 12:28PM
Which version of FCP are you running?

There were issues with intel/ppc interchanged projects renders on FCP 5.1.2 thats fixed in FCP 5.1.4

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 09, 2007 12:40PM
we are using FCP 5.1.4
May 09, 2007 01:38PM
Hmm - when you open the file on the G5 does it say the render files are offline? Can you not relink them?

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 11, 2007 11:18AM
Hey B -
I am not sure where they are getting lost - at which stage - so as soon as I can,
I am going to do some more testing (when the other computer is free) - I'll post what I come up with - but keep your eyes open!

thanks
ciao
May 11, 2007 01:27PM
I can imagine that the Intel is set to render on the local disks rather than the Xsan...

Check the system settings...

Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics