Need help with Qmaster

Posted by rube 
Need help with Qmaster
May 22, 2007 11:47AM
I want to setup a render farm using my G5 and a couple of mac minis. My main question is do I have to obtain separate FCP user liscences for each computer that is connected to the render farm?

My second question is, If we are trying to export out of Motion using compressor and qmaster would the mac minis be able to take some of the load even if they don't have Motion installed?(they can't run motion due to the lower end graphics card.)

Thanks.
Re: Need help with Qmaster
May 22, 2007 05:23PM
I believe you can install the QMaster module on other computers with just one FCP license. You just install that module and no other parts of the Suite.

If you're using Compressor I don't think it matters what application is exporting, it's just Compressor pulling the frames from 1 running copy of Motion into the QmAster cluster and spitting out the final product. You may get better results though by just dropping the Motion project right into Compressor and exporting that; it will treat it like any QT file and you won't have to have Motion running during the export.

I'd be interested to hear your results with the Minis; and ideal cluster would be a bunch of towers but can a few lower-end machines do the trick as well?

JK

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics