FCP 6 and disc space

Posted by Jamie Kelley 
FCP 6 and disc space
May 23, 2007 09:12AM
I'm on a 2 core Duo MacBook Pro with 23G available space.

FCP 6 arrives today and I believe it's 62G. Granted, most of that is Soundtrack files, however, I trust that I'm still going to have space problems.

Can I load the entire application on an external drive? And does the upgrade overwrite current files or should I blow out the old version before installing the new?

Thanks,

Jamie
Re: FCP 6 and disc space
May 23, 2007 10:57AM
Probably best to clone the existing files and rebuild macOsX with 10.4.9 and the required QT prior to loading the content. May want to offload the DVD Studio templates, Live Type fonts and Soundtrack Pro audio files to an external drive to save space on the internal drive.

Actually about more than half of the application file are over 30GB, I believe.
May 23, 2007 11:45AM
Here is an Applecare doc on installing on a laptop

[docs.info.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 23, 2007 12:35PM
I did not see the option to store the "content" files elsewhere when i did the install (uprade) yesterday.

I figured I'd do like in the past and go search for all of the content files (Soundtrack, Motion and LiveType) and move them later.

I wish they'd make that option more clear - I hate filling up my boot drive with content data. My boot drive on my non-Intel G5 gets flaky when the avail space gets near 20GB.

That is a big reason why I hate using iPhoto and iTunes - both are always wanting to fill up my boot drive. I have tried changing iTunes, and sometimes it remembers and then every now and then I see iTunes directories created again.

There was a suggestion once about faking out iPhoto by making an alias file on the boot drive pointing to the real dta file(s) elsewhere, but at least with Aperture we can specify and it does seem to remember.
May 23, 2007 12:49PM
Nick:

I noticed that my iTunes is 39G. Found this on the Apple support:

[docs.info.apple.com]

and will try to move it all onto my external drive. John tweaked me about LiveType and sure enough, there's another 11G there to move.

Relocating the iTunes should make the FCP 6 install good to go.

Thanks for all the good responses, guys.

Jamie
May 24, 2007 09:52AM
Hi,

If you read carefully on the screen in the installer where you can select which components to install, you also get to specify the location of all content folders and can put them on a different drive.

This is all explained in the 'read before you install' PDF on the DVD - See? It DOES pay to read the docs BEFORE you start.

Smug Dave.
May 24, 2007 10:03AM
Nicely put, Dave, however I have not yet received the upgrade and the docs. Notwithstanding, I was anticipating some storage issues but it's good to learn that Apple has addressed this.

I will dump all the templates and Soundtrack files to an external drive. I also offloaded 33G of iTunes to an external drive. I could hear my MacBook Pro breathe a sigh of relief.

The software arives today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics