capture DVCPro HD

Posted by Kozikowski 
capture DVCPro HD
May 23, 2007 10:05PM
FCP 5.0.4
QT 7
OSX 10.4.9

We may play host to a DVCPro HD capture session. Nobody wants to rent a deck for just the couple of minutes that the job is projected to be, so I'm guessin' somebody will hand me the camcorder and say have a happy day.

Will I have a happy day?

Both of the built-in FireWire ports on our G5 are unused. We have a LaCie 1TByte RAID stack on its own FireWire 800 card. There are two roomy drives inside, one System and the other Data.

The machine is a dualing 2G with 2G of memory (as I recall). This is the machine with the Kona II card in it.

Everything has always been perfectly well behaved and I see the presets for the four or five DVCPro HD configurations. No 1080p24. That's interesting.....

From what I've been able to gather, this capture job should be good to go, right? Everything goes down the FireWire cable? Capture from in point to out point?

Does the camera (and they haven't told us which one, yet) have the ability to produce a down-rezzed NTSC version of the show? You know they're going to want to see it on their laptops, right?

The actual show is on either an Avid or a Flame (or, gasp, an Inferno). If I export numbered still frames, are they going to get Brighter/Darker?

Koz
Re: capture DVCPro HD
May 23, 2007 10:19PM
DVCPRO HD, recorded on tape by a Varicam, is 720p only. It does not do 1080p, for that you look to the HVX-200, HXP500 and so on. So when you capture, just use the DVCPRO HD 720p24 or 720p60 easy setup. FCP will capture the footage if it is 23.98 or 59.94...the camera sets the flags on the tape, and FCP sees them.

And since you have a separate FW card, then capturing this footage via firewire to a firewire drive should be easy enough.

YOu are being handed the CAMERA? Not a DVCPRO HD Deck? The camera cannot downconvert to DV, the decks do that. Gonna need a deck to do that. BUT, DVCPRO HD 720p24 is editable using a firewire drive, and doesn't take up that much space.

Why are you going to capture with FCP if you will be cutting on an AVID? Don't do that. Capture on the system you will be using. NLEs capture footage into different formats, and trying to get one format to work on another system often times can be a task and a half.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 24, 2007 09:05AM
<<<Capture on the system you will be using. >>>

I don't think the Flames have any idea what a DVCPro HD is.

We should probably get more info today.

<<<DVCPRO HD 720p24 is editable using a firewire drive>>>

Doesn't have to be that. We can do it from the internal drives, and we're not doing any editing at all.

<<<often times can be a task and a half.>>>

Again, what I suspect they're going to do is shoot in one of the "p" formats and get me to make numbered targa frames.

We're part of the Flame Gig Ethernet and we will probablay just smooch them over that way.

I will have to deal with the fact that DVCPro HD frames aren't really 16x9, right?

Koz
May 24, 2007 09:12AM
Oh, one more. The did mention 1080 shoots. There are no DVCPro HD 1080 P formats, right?

That means numbered frame exports are going to have motion artifacts? ¿Si?

Koz
May 24, 2007 11:56AM
Yet one more.

There's only one Avid with HiDef cabability and it's on a feature. So this is all about me.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics