Monitoring HD on Apple/Dell 23/24 -- questions

Posted by clay 
Monitoring HD on Apple/Dell 23/24 -- questions
May 23, 2007 01:31PM
we're making the move into HD with the hvx200 and are getting ready to upgrade our edit system as well, to provide HD monitoring, etc.

I'm aware of two basic options for monitoring HD using a monitor such as the apple 23" or a Dell 24":

1. Digital Cinema Desktop Preview in fcp
2. HD monitoring solution like Matrox MXO, HDlink, etc

I'd lean toward the #2 above, but have what seems to be a basic question that I simply haven't found an answer to yet--
If I'm using a device like the HDlink hooked up to my monitor, is the monitor still used as an extended desktop when not in use by FCP or is it relegated to a "single-duty" type of device, much like I'd use my Sony 13" CRT NTSC display--i.e. only used for monitoring video?

I think I stated it clearly enough, but I want to make sure that if we purchase 2 apple 23" displays along with an hdlink, for instance, I'm not just stuck using one of the monitors while doing anything outside of FCP.

Seems like an easy enough question, but I couldn't find an answer so I'm asking here. Thanks!
Re: Monitoring HD on Apple/Dell 23/24 -- questions
May 23, 2007 01:41PM
Digital Cinema Preview shows a "proxie" image...not quite full res. Lower resolution. Don't use that.

I highly recommend the Matrox MXO. You can use your monitor as a desktop monitor, and when you hit APPLE-12 in FCP, it becomes an HD monitor. The HDLink won't do that, as it feeds off the capture card. You can't use JUST the HDlink. It converts an SDI signal to a DVI signal, so you still need a Decklink or AJA card to feed it. The MXO attaches to the DVI port of the computer, so that is the only box you need. And the MXO does double duty.

PLUS...the MXO now has a built in software PROC AMP, so you can set up your monitor to BARS...and it even has a BLUE ONLY option. Now you not only can use the Apple displays, but the Dells as well. You cannot adjust the image with a Decklink and HD Link.

[lfhd.blogspot.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 23, 2007 01:49PM
thanks, Shane. It appears that you have confirmed what I suspected--using the hdlink relegates the connected monitor to a video monitor only--no chance of using it as a computer monitor simultaneously. I did some more looking at the MXO and it seems like that would be a good option and would allow for use of the monitor as a computer monitor.

I realized that we'd also need a capture card of some sort in order to use the hdlink. That's something we're still trying to work through as well--we'll probably need one at some point, but whether we get one now is the question.
May 23, 2007 01:51PM
Yeah...the MXO is output only.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 24, 2007 12:40PM
So Shane does that mean with the mxo that the display on it is now the canvas or do you still have your canvas on your editing display.
May 24, 2007 01:02PM
The MXO turns the Display into an external monitor. So you will still have your timeline and your Viewer and Canvas on one display, and the second one, that is hooked up to the MXO, will now be your full screen broadcast monitor. It is HIGHLY recommended that you have two monitors if you intend to use the MXO. You need one to see your workspace, and the other as the broadcast monitor.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 24, 2007 02:25PM
Ok so tell me if i got this right since im a rookie. So when you said (So you will still have your timeline and your Viewer and Canvas on one display, and the second one, that is hooked up to the MXO, will now be your full screen broadcast monitor) does that mean the second display is a mirror of first or just a big canvas that when you hit play on timeline it plays just like your small one does on first display. or do you have to hit the display all frames on to get second display to play, and is this setup act the same as say a kona lh hooked up to a display thru one of its outputs. Sorry about ?s just trying to understand this before make purchase.
May 24, 2007 03:35PM
Not a mirror...it is ONE BIG picture. NOT the Canvas...don't use that terminology. As it displays what is on the canvas and Viewer, whichever you happen to be using at the time. It is an external monitor. When you hit play on the timeline, it shows you what the canvas shows you.

Acts just like a Kona LH and external monitor. And yes, you have to VIEW>ALL FRAMES to activate it, if you are also using it as a desktop monitor.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 24, 2007 03:50PM
OK thanks Shane i think i got it now, so one more question, when it says on matrox website about hardware acceleration with mxo what exactly does it mean. I have been under impression that is does the scaling to hd from 1440 so computer doesnt what i dont get is if canvas is playing does it not have to already do the render or scaling to be able to play it at hd or is it just played at a smaller resolution in canvas or viewer then only plays it out full board on mxo. I assume if this is the case then is it a preset in settings so computer wont do and just pass out signal then let mxo do.
May 24, 2007 03:58PM
Gotta ask the Matrox folks. I am not entirely sure. I do know that you can output HDV via the MXO and not have to conform...that might be what they mean. OH, and it downconverts to SD on the fly.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics