M2v's crashing my computer!

Posted by Gregory O'Toole 
M2v's crashing my computer!
May 23, 2007 11:36PM
What the heck? All of a sudden, my computer cannot read M2V's at the finder level. I have burned many copies of a particular DVDSP project that references a M2V on my external raid. Suddenly, one day after editing (but not working on anything associated with the DVD project) i went to burn another copy and neither my finder nor DVDSP can read any M2V's. I figured somehow the file had gotten corrupted, so i compressed a new one from compressor. That didn't work either. So then i thought it was a raid problem, so i moved the files to my internal, and still the same problem. i repaired permission, ran diskwarrior, all the usual things. everything else is working fine, and all hard drives seem to function normally.

any ideas?

thanks everyone!

g
Re: M2v's crashing my computer!
May 24, 2007 04:16AM
So, if you have created a .m2v MPEG-2 video file and it located on the desktop. you can't do what to it? You can't do a Get Info, or you can't import it into DVD Studio Pro or what?

""neither my finder nor DVDSP can read any M2V's""
May 24, 2007 09:32AM
john
thanks for the reply. i can't even do a get info, just *clicking* on it when i am in the list view (the one that opens a preview for you of the file and displays othe file info before openin it)makes the finder crash. in addition, i can't import it into DVDSP.
greg
May 24, 2007 10:07AM
Sounds like a corrupt file.

Does it actually crash or is it the spinning beachball of death?

If its the latter then it may not be as m2v files take a long time to preview with Quicktime in the Finder and Get info Preview and as such I would advise NOT clicking on m2v files in column view and that you close the preview triangle on the get info window as default.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 24, 2007 10:26AM
M2V files do take a long time to preview in my experience, so that might be it.

Alternatively, is it possible that just the QT MPEG2 components file is corrupt? (Since this seems to happen with any m2v, if I'm reading this correctly).

Matt
May 24, 2007 10:33AM
Hey guys
thanks for the replies.
to clarify - it results in spinning ball of death, and then when i go to the force quite window, it says finder is "not responding"

it doesn't seem to be a single corrupt m2v, because i have the problem with ALL m2v's

the problem is not just not loading in preview, but, in addition, DVDSP cannot read the file, nevermind trying to open it in quicktime.

matt - how would i repair the QT component? i guess this might be time to upgrade to the new QT pro (the one that i would have to pay for again....)

i'm on a different system today, so can't try these thins until tongiht....
thanks guys
greg
May 24, 2007 01:53PM
What I'm thinking of is the QT MPEG 2 Playback component, available as an additional-cost download from Apple

[www.apple.com]

Not sure if this is included in FCP / FCS or if you have to buy it separately. I only remember buying it separately for a machine that did not have FCP installed. I'd be surprised if it was not included with with the Pro Apps.

And once you install it, I'm not sure where the file(s) are placed. Somewhere in the Library, but where exactly I'm not sure.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm sure someone else here can.

Matt
May 24, 2007 02:45PM
Matt
Thanks!@! I'll check it out later when i get back to that system
g
May 25, 2007 01:09AM
ok, so i finally "fixed" it

kind of a boring fix, bc all i did was upgrade to the latest QT. I had been avoiding going to QT 7.1.6 bc I was goiing to need to buy another license for QT pro, but upgrading seems to have solved the problem. lesson learned - upgrade upgrade upgrade!
thanks for all your help!
greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics