Final Cut Studio 2 - Which Version do I buy?

Posted by CyWar 
Final Cut Studio 2 - Which Version do I buy?
May 28, 2007 02:30PM
Been reading all the posts on upgrading to FCS2 and now I'm confused as to which version I should buy: $499 or $699?

When I purchased my iMac (love it!) I also purchased (on the outside box) Final Cut Studio (with a little "HD" up in the corner); inside was FCP5 (which I have upgraded to 5.1.4 via "Software Updates" menu), Soundtarck Pro, Motion 2 and DVD Studio Pro 4.

This was a full purchase of a new package and not an upgrade from any previous versions. Since this is a fully licensed version of FCPS 5.1.4, would not the $499 upgrade be the one I should order? Thanks of any info anyone can provide.

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 - Which Version do I buy?
May 28, 2007 05:19PM
499 sounds like the one for you -- if you have an apple store nearby get it from them and confirm
May 28, 2007 06:33PM
Andy Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 499 sounds like the one for you -- if you have an
> apple store nearby get it from them and confirm

Thanks, Andy. But, you know, the more I read about all the problems folks are having getting this FCP6 installed, I am beginning to wonder if it might be smarter to wait a bit until Apple works out some of what appear to be bugs in this upgrade.... !!?? My FCP5 is just fine for now. I think I'll wait unti Lepoard is released. I'm considering a Mac Pro by that time anyway.

Regards, Cyrus
May 28, 2007 07:54PM
Cyrus

If folks are having a tough time with the upgrade it is usually because of user error. Don't think so much and go ahead and upgrade.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 28, 2007 11:01PM
Cyrus,

It's more Apple being unclear -- there's an endless thread on this subject way below here -- go and read as well as on Creative Cow.

As for upgrade -- it's outstanding

Mutli formats in one timeline
Motion rocks (semi 3d - camera move -- tons of improvements
Livetype - the same
Soundtrack - haven't gotten into
DVD Studio pro - seems the same
Color - looks amazing but seems to have a steep learning curve - and it's interface is very un-mac like

I just cut two pieces this week on the FCS2 -- outputted through firewire and and AJA IO LA box - no problems -- made a few DVD's in DVD Studio pro --

All is peaceful - not a single glitch

Only problem - I installed on a second drive in my tower (cleaned it and installed fresh latest system and QT -- all beautiful

But now my Photoshop and other app's tied to the other boot hard drive won't work -- apparently they have to run on the boot drive with their invisible "you own it" files -- trying to remedy that now.

Otherwise - dive in - the water's fine! Andy
May 29, 2007 05:51PM
Thanks everyone; I just ordered the $499 upgrade; should be here Thursday/Friday. Will post regarding any problems I have installing.

Regards, Cyrus
May 31, 2007 08:53PM
Just confirming that, after some hemming and herring, I was sent the cheaper upgrade and it worked fine with my crossgraded 5.1. So if you have the crossgrade version, you do have a legal copy of FC Studio 1.

May 31, 2007 09:00PM
So tell us, how was Tasmania? And are the sheep there poisonous?

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 31, 2007 09:08PM
Yeah I nearly got bitten - it was a nightmare. Plus, Tassie's very cold. With lots of apples. And there's always the 'Map of Tasmania' joke going on everywhere. Pfft. Just a nightmare.

May 31, 2007 09:51PM
Jude alluded:
And there's always the 'Map of Tasmania' joke going on everywhere.

C'mon, spill it to those of us "up over" (where summer is coming, not going).

Scott
June 01, 2007 10:37AM
Uh, well, it's not really for general forum consumption. Keep this in mind and then go get a map of the world and look up tasmania.

June 01, 2007 10:39AM
Installation of FCPS2 on iMac: Took about hour & half (my FCP5 install was the full retail, package); only asked for serial# on the upgrade package; went smoothly and had no problems installing....

OK, I do have to admit that the last disk "Motion" appeared to be "hung up" at the end with "3 minutes" left. After about 15 minutes, I figured it was not responding. So, dummy me, I did a forced quit. Seemed everything was there and installed, but I wasn't sure so I started over and re-installed from start to finish. This time when it got to the last disk "Motion" I went and had a cup of coffee and after about 10 minutes it finished doing whatever it needed to do (albeit the screen said approx. 4 minutes left... OK, on the Apple clock, I guess 10 minutes could be "approx. 4 minutes"winking smiley. When it had spit out the disk and I put the start disk back in, it was a successful installation (I installed everything). If I had just been patient the first time, it would have done the same thing and I wouldn't have had to "re-install".

I've been playing a bit with it and everything seems OK. Looks like some terrific enhancements. I'll be working with it this weekend.

Regards, Cyrus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics