Mixer question

Posted by bscenefilms 
Mixer question
June 01, 2007 12:11PM
Looking through the Supermeet 2007 Magazine (Thanks for putting that up as a PDF BTW), I was reading the system reccomendations for an editing system. A Mackie mixer is part of the mix in those systems.

If you are not recording live audio, why would you need this?

Thanks!

Mike
Re: Mixer question
June 01, 2007 12:13PM
To control your audio levels. Not only from FCP, but if you happen to have a Mic that you use for VO, a deck attached to the system, and especially a capture card, then this is an integral part of the system.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 01, 2007 12:38PM
To control your audio levels.

Heh - Yeah I know that smiling smiley

OK, barring the VO Mic, you are saying that if you have a deck that you are capturing from, you want to take the audio out from the deck and feed it to the mixer and then the mixer to the capture card. Is that correct? Based on that, I assume that you would then use the mixer to adjust to a particular level of audio for the capture (like -12db or some such). If that is the case, why don't I just capture the audio straight to the Mac and adjust the input sensitivity on the Mac?
June 01, 2007 12:52PM
You can't easily change capture sound level.

The sound board is there to run the room speakers and change the levels going into and out of any analog equipment. We keep telling people they need to monitor the sound from their deck during capture. How do you do that without crawling behind your Mac and moving the cables?

Plus, the most important function of the sound board is to give you something to plug your iPod and PowerBook into to listen to The Greatful Dead while you're cutting visual special effects.

Koz
June 01, 2007 12:59PM
You can only adjust audio levels upon capture if you have capture via a capture card and route your deck thru the mixer then to the capture card. via firewire you can't change a thing.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 01, 2007 01:06PM
i use my mackie to control output audio levels. mac, tv, camera, deck, ipod, dvd player
i may be rocking out to a loud concert dvd, but dont want my email alerts to scream out at 100db

but they come on handy for vo mixing and analog audio capture as well
June 01, 2007 01:12PM
OK, makes sense. All of the audio that I have used was always from a double system and the audio was on a memory card so my captures have constituted a file copy. However, that is about to change...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics