G5 PCI-X graphics cards

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
G5 PCI-X graphics cards
May 29, 2007 03:04PM
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of Motion work, lately, designing graphics. I'm working on a dual 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac with PCI-X slots. Right now, I have the GeForce FX 5200 with 64 MB of VRAM.

I've heard that upgrading one's graphics card can make Motion work a lot better and faster. It's been really slow and buggy for me. So, I'm thinking of getting a better graphics card.

From what I've seen, the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL is the best PCI-X graphics card they ever offered. Is that correct? Does anybody have any graphics card advice, as to what will work on my machine, and what is the best functionality for one's money?

Where will I get a good deal on these cards?

Thanks!
Re: G5 PCI-X graphics cards
May 31, 2007 01:48PM
Yes, Motion uses the video card to do the heavy lifting. Get a card with at least 256meg of VRam. I've been an ATI card user myself.

I have a pulled ATI Radeon 9800 PCI-X card with 256 VRam that came with my G5. I've since upgraded to an X800 card. If you're interested in buying it, email me off the list.

chiholee@mac.com

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
ATI X800 XT AGP graphics card
June 01, 2007 12:44PM
I've been searching for the X800 XT, the past few days. On eBay, they are going for just under $500, by the time the auction is over. And nobody has them in stock.

Does anybody have any tips as to where I could find one of these? Is there at least some AGP knock-off of the original that will do as good a job?

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics