Widescreen Filter Does Not Work on Some of My Clips

Posted by Andy O'Neil 
Widescreen Filter Does Not Work on Some of My Clips
June 02, 2007 10:35PM
I have applied a widescreen filter (2.35:1) onto my 16:9 footage. The filter performs correctly on every single shot of my hour long sequence except for one clip. I've tried re-importing the clip and applying the filter again, but filter does not take effect. Has anyone ever seen this "glitch" before?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy O'Neil
FCP v. 5.1.4
Mac OS 10.4.7
4 GB RAM
PowerMac G5 Quad (2.5 Ghz)
Re: Widescreen Filter Does Not Work on Some of My Clips
June 02, 2007 10:52PM
Can I ask why you're adding a widescreen filter to 16:9 clips? This will make your picture a very thin strip in the middle of the screen and you will be losing information you shouldn't need to lose.

Not sure why the filter isn't working, unless ... has there been a size adjustment on that clip? What you can do, if you want to, is add a couple of faked widescreen bars to match the ones you already have on the other clips by cropping the top and bottom of the odd clip, or laying slugs or a psd over the top of the odd clip. More info here : Making a widescreen matte

June 03, 2007 12:42AM
"Can I ask why you're adding a widescreen filter to 16:9 clips? This will make your picture a very thin strip in the middle of the screen"
that's the idea, Jude:
"widescreen filter (2.35:1)"
Andy's after a 'Scope look

so what's different about THAT clip?
is it a graphic?
it's curious, but if it;s the ONLY clip like that, then as Jude says you can simply crop it,
or use another technique.

nick
June 03, 2007 02:57AM
Oh - sorry Andy - for some reason my brain just skipped entirely over the (2.35:1) qualification.

June 03, 2007 07:30AM
Thank you both very much for your help. This phenomenon is very peculiar.

Nick, the clip is not a graphic. It's the same 720/24pN footage like the rest of the clips in the sequence.

Several months ago, I had a different clip in this same timeline that was mysteriously zoomed in. There was no motion effect applied to this clip. Eventually (afer several weeks), the clip assumed its normal size again. No idea the cause of the problem or the solution for that matter.

Andy O'Neil
FCP v. 5.1.4
Mac OS 10.4.7
4 GB RAM
PowerMac G5 Quad (2.5 Ghz)
June 03, 2007 06:55PM
I had this randomly happen on 4.5 a year or so ago. I zoomed and cropped and moved on from memory. Mine was a short one.

Never found an answer....(looks wistfully off into the distance)....
June 03, 2007 07:45PM
Andy
in this same timeline

than i wonder if it;s as simple as a corrupt timeline.

you could try a copy all from that timeline and paste into a new one,
and see what happens.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics