mpeg2 transport stream encoding...

Posted by dwindsor 
mpeg2 transport stream encoding...
June 07, 2007 10:40AM
I have a problem...we do a show and cut it on FCP...thus this post.

we work on a dual processor g5 with 3.5 gigs of ram...
latest version of os x and fcp (not the just announced version)

heres my problem...our client wants us to deliver the shows to the local cable system for their video on demand system...

the cable op has very strict parameters for this...

here are some:
1. Required Specifications

a) Each Licensed Program shall be encoded to: (i) a single DVD-R disc; or (ii) on DLT tape if the file is too large to fit on a single DVD-R disc.

b) Video shall be encoded in MPEG-2 Transport Stream 188-byte packet format.

c) Audio shall be encoded as Dolby Digital AC-3

d) Each copy of a Licensed Program shall be encoded with audio in a single language. Where a Licensed Program is to be exhibited in more than one language, a separate copy shall be encoded in each language.

e) Metadata shall be provided by Licensor to Licensee in whichever is the first of these formats that Licensor can provide: (i) ADI; or(ii) e-mail or comparable electronic version; or (iii) paper.

f) PAT and PMT tables shall be present in the MPEG Transport Stream.

g) Video PES shall be in 4:3 formatted for SDTV.

h) Audio and Video encoding parameters shall conform to Cable Labs Content Encoding Profiles Specification.[1].

(i) total Bit 3.75, PCR PID has to equal Video PID. Extension is .mpg

I have tried to make a mpeg2 transport stream in compressor, but I get a 3x crash error...from research this seems very common and is an ongoing problem for people.

I have also tried many other ways such as exporting a m2v file and aiff seperately and combining them in mpeg streamclip....no success on the correct parameters...

is there a simple way to do this....
I would not mind buying software, hardware, whatever it takes to get this done...

thanks for any help
Don

Don Windsor
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Re: mpeg2 transport stream encoding...
June 07, 2007 11:20AM
so let me get this strait. you have met all requirements but can not get the file out of compressor??

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 07, 2007 11:27AM
<<<you have met all requirements>>>

No. I don't think Compressor will meet broadcast requirements for transport stream. The larger broadcasters have an "Injest Room" where you deliver whatever you want and they convert it to broadcast stream.

The smaller ones want you to do it...somehow. "Here's the specs. Have a happy day."

<<<local cable system>>>

Call them direct. They might have a web site or something with instructions. Smaller broadcasters live on lower-end producers, so they must have made some provisions.

Koz
June 07, 2007 11:33AM
Thanks Koz: I got the specs from the cable company...
they do do encoding themselves, but it would be better for us if we did it our selves...

compressor was a complete bust...same error time after time even when we used different lengths and formats for input...
there must be a piece of hardware (or software) that will do this easily....

thanks for any help
don
June 07, 2007 11:55AM
<<< there must be a piece of hardware (or software) >>>

I hope somebody posts to argue with me, but I'm going with no. The broadcasters use a real-time transport stream converter that costs thousands.

I have the opposite problem. I capture the transport stream with an Elgato Hybrid in my iMini and it's a real pain in the butt trying to manage the work without the custom software.

Broadcast stream doesn't have a beginning and end. You have to make one artifically. It is MPEG2 and I can tell you all about the GOPs and Temporal Management, but the structure is different.

Koz
June 07, 2007 12:03PM
OK! I will play! MPEG-2 is a format that is fixed LONG GOP by the encoded bitrate. How can one encoder do it differently than another.

Compressor is a multi output encoder. It has adjustable bitrates.

What is the difference between a hardware encoder and the software ones?
June 07, 2007 01:38PM
<<<How can one encoder do it differently than another. >>>

Oh. let's see. Transport Stream is different from Program Stream because Transport stream is bigger and it has error correction built in. That's to help when the bird flys in front of your antenna.

The Transport Stream from Channel 18 has four different shows in it.

<<<What is the difference between a hardware encoder and the software ones?>>>

Real time. It's also the difference between encoding a Big Deal Professional Movie where the colorist/compressionist has to scrub to set the compression and me encoding Mom's Trip To The Beach where I hope to goodness the compression numbers I picked don't look terrible--and I won't find out for another two hours.

Koz
June 07, 2007 03:09PM
"Transport Stream is different from Program Stream"

Sure, these are two different multiplexing systems for over the air delivery. My point, however was to say that the content going into the delivery systems is still MPEG-2.

Which I think was the original question?
June 07, 2007 04:44PM
<<<two different multiplexing systems for over the air delivery.>>>

I don't believe that's correct. The Program Stream is designed for studio use and the Transport Stream for air delivery. I believe DVDs have the same Transport Stream error correction, but a different header.

Yes, internally, they have the same basic picture data structure--this many I frames and that many B frames--but wrapped around that it's very different.

The "Very Different" part is what stops you from being able to produce one in Compressor and prevents me from saving my copy of "Rosemary And Thyme."

I'm also going on my historical knowledge of Compressor, which could suck. The latest ones coiuld very well produce a Program Stream without thinking too hard about it.

This is where Clark Kent whips off his glasses and rescues me.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics