More Space Better Quality?

Posted by J.Corbett 
More Space Better Quality?
June 07, 2007 03:00PM
i have a dvd that has 4.3gigs of info on a 4.7 disc. i am upgrading my burner to a dl burner.

i have 2 understandings of this format.
1. i believe that a dual layer dvd is a dvd that has 2 layers on one side.
2. sometimes it is 2 sided.

in the case of the dl dvd being 2 layers on oneside are these statements true.

my 4.3gigs of info can be up-res'ed to be say 5.1gigs and fit on the 8.5 dl dvd.
the 5.1gig project will play continuously.

sub-question:
i am looking at the lacie that apple ships. is there a better choice?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: More Space Better Quality?
June 07, 2007 03:21PM
When the lazer focuses between the layers this can cause a minor glitch in the form of a pause or jump in vision.

DVDSP can set this break point manually in a track (for instance you could set it to a dip to black in the video stream) to minimise the impact on viewing.

Don't upres the 4.3GB MPEG-2 file - recompress from the original source movie.

Bare in mind that the maximum DVD bitrate is 9Mbps including all Audio, Video & subtitle tracks. Go over this and DVDSP won't burn the disc, go too near the 9Mbps max and you may find the disc won't play smoothly on older DVD players.

Look at the internal Pioneer-DVR-112 or similar I have the 109 and its excellent.

I don't trust anything Lacie anymore - not even external CD/DVD

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 07, 2007 03:35PM
so once it plays thru the first layer there will be a jump so that the laser can go to the next correct?

i can set dvdsp to fade or crossD at the jump point.

so when i finish with the dvd layout the burn will take place without pause correct?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i see these burners are priced below 100. am i looking at the right one?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
June 07, 2007 03:42PM

so once it plays thru the first layer there will be a jump so that the laser can go to the next correct?

Yep

i can set dvdsp to fade or crossD at the jump point.

Nope - you choose a point in your video that won't show up the jump as obviously.

Newer faster DVD players dramatically reduce this jump - I've only noticed it a couple of times in my life.

i see these burners are priced below 100. am i looking at the right one?

Yep internal DVD drives are often sub $100 nowadays.

If you act like you know everything, you will never be able to learn anything.

But what if you already know eveything? Even the fact that the red sweater you are thinking of wearing later has a stain on it?

Hmmmmm? tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 07, 2007 03:48PM
so in the case of the 5.1 project i would preview it in dvdsp and then set a marker in dvsp to tell it to jump to next layer at this point.

""""
June 07, 2007 03:50PM
by the way does the panasonic recognize dvdsp on install or do you have to train it.

""""
June 07, 2007 04:13PM
<<<I've only noticed it a couple of times in my life. >>>

If we're talking Commercial Movie DVDs, I've never noticed it. Someone else in the shop complains about it like the world is going to end. "It got to the layer break and my heart stopped beating for ten seconds!"

Am I getting wrapped up in the plot and ignoring it? I've done things like that.

<<<1. i believe that a dual layer dvd is a dvd that has 2 layers on one side. >>>

Unmentioned in all this, Isn't dual layer DVD + R? Doesn't that shoot the compatibility with older movie players? I thought Mac/FCP/QT, etc. didn't support DVD + R.

Did I spell "compatibility" right?

Koz
June 07, 2007 11:32PM
I've seen the dual layer break point on every commercial DVD I own. ~ 100 DVDs.
June 07, 2007 11:58PM
well cant you set it up to have an intermission of sorts.

in my case it could be nice i the first 4.3 played then jumped to a slightly aumented second menu.

""""
June 08, 2007 03:54AM
You can get -R DVD9s (dual layer). I haven't bothered as yet - single layers are doing me just fine.

ALL DVD9s (burns or not) have the layer change. You are correct - there are two types - either with both layers on one side, or one on each side. I have a box set that requires the disc to be flipped - can't remember what - but its old. I don't think you get many of those anymore.

I have NO first hand experience with burnt DVD9s

My personal experience with a jump or pause in the layer change is completely related to the player. The LG DVD player we have in one room at the moment shows no sign, and neither did our recently departed Pioneer.

My earlier Sony and Asian brand ones showed a siginificant pause or skip. It has to be noted that both of these players were relatively s*%t compared to modern players. They were constantly skipping etc.

My experience and 2c.

JR
June 08, 2007 10:45AM
what about the second menu to start the second layer?

""""
June 09, 2007 11:16AM
J.Corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what about the second menu to start the second
> layer?

There is no second menu, unless you want to make the viewer have to go through that. The disc simply takes a pause while moving the the next layer to resume play. I've burned dozens of DVD+R DL's over the past year (I do a lot of long-form event stuff) and they function flawlessly. The pause is generally only about a second (on my test players) and I try to set it during a fade or scene change that is least noticable. Beats the hell out of handing over two-disc sets to my clients. I love it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics