24p Back to Tape; LP or DVD?

Posted by hanguolaohu 
24p Back to Tape; LP or DVD?
June 08, 2007 01:55PM
Hi,

I am trying to output my DVX-100 24p advanced footage back to DV tape. Since the footage was imported into my sequence removing advanced pulldown, is there a way for Final Cut Pro to reinsert the flagged frames onto DV tape properly?

Also, if given a choice to project my film onto a large screen using LP mode on a DV tape or DVD, which format would you choose for higher quality?

Any info much appreciated!
Alexander
Re: 24p Back to Tape; LP or DVD?
June 08, 2007 03:57PM
Absolutely never, ever record on a tape using LP mode. As is often said in here, tapes shot using LP mode may only playback properly on one machine -- the camera that shot it. And not just "the type" of camera that shot it -- the actual camera that shot it.

And 24pA was never intended to be shown at 29.97fps. If you'd wanted to go back out onto standard-definition tape, you shouldn't have shot 24pA.

www.derekmok.com
June 08, 2007 06:25PM
Thanks for info Derek. Don't have much choice now because we will project our footage on Tuesday, and don't have time or $ to go 24p HD by then. With the situation we're in, we've tried recording the 23.98 footage directly onto miniDV tape thru firewire but upon playback the image goes in and out, stutters, and experiences dropouts. We're running a Macbook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo, so I don't believe this is a system speed issue. Our solution has been to place the 23.98 footage onto a 29.97 sequence and are manually recording using a DV deck which has worked OK.

Alexander
June 09, 2007 02:09PM
FCP will play out 24pA (23.98fps on a 23.98fps timeline) and add 3:2 pulldown in real time out to DV, or if you're going out via say a kona or BMD card, they will add pulldown too.

Graeme
June 09, 2007 02:46PM
When you say "add 3:2 pulldown in real time out to DV", do you mean make the sequence setting 2:3:2:3 and then output to DV deck via Firewire? For whatever reason, the printing to tape has all sorts of dropouts and stuttering, even when going 2:3:3:2 or 2:2:2:4. I'm assuming this is not what should happen, what are we doing wrong? Like I said, our only solution so far has been to place the 23.98 footage onto a 29.97 sequence and are manually recording using a DV deck which has worked OK.

Thanks,
Alexander
June 09, 2007 05:09PM
If the tape id meant for playback, you definitely want to keep the sequence pulldown at 2:3:2:3.

- Justin Barham -
June 09, 2007 09:23PM
Understood, but what's up with the stuttering and dropouts?

Alexander
June 10, 2007 04:47PM
Were you getting these problems when viewing on your NTSC monitor when you were cutting?

Also, adding pulldown does add a little CPU overhead.

- Justin Barham -
June 10, 2007 05:37PM
I finally figured out the problem. We were daisy chaining our firewire hard drives and the DV deck on the same Expresscard 34 slot, which I guess was overloading the bandwidth there. Now that we've separated the hard drives to the Expresscard and the DV deck to the powerbook's built-in firewire bus, the stuttering problem has been solved! Thanks for all your help!

Best,
Alexander
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics