My G5 was making Lots of fan noise so I did dust removal and
now my Mac is Quiet again --AAhhhhhh

I had not looked around that much in my G5 --
Size of heat sink surprised me - its huge

Small amounts of dust make a big difference --Jay--
Re: Spring Cleaning --
June 09, 2007 07:12PM
<<<Size of heat sink surprised me - its huge >>>

They are huge. All the major segments of the machine have heat sinks and managed cooling. I forget the number, but a clean G5 will run to correct factory specifications in high enough heat that the operator will be dying.

We assume the fan systems will be screaming at that point and if the operator was still conscious, they will not be able to hear the phone ring.

How did you clean it? At work we have compressed, dried, and degreased air. At home, I use the push end of a large Shop-Vac. Windex, Clean paint brush, ad lib.

Then you took the opportunity to do a system-wide backup, right?

Koz
June 09, 2007 10:45PM
I've just re-formatted both of the drives in my G5 (250 & 300gb) and backed up all necessary data to external firewire and DVDs.

Trying a new workflow with Tiger installed on both drives - audio apps on one and video on the other. Just to try and eke a little more performance out of ProTools and FCP. So far all working well.

If you are unhappy with your system's performance, I seriously suggest formatting and starting again. Do a list of the applications that you ACTUALLY use (I had over 100, and whittled it down to 30), and when you try a piece of shareware, if you are not going to use it on an ongoing basis, uninstall it immediately.

And while people might suggest you make an image of your drive (and I'm not suggesting this isn't a good idea) I always find that by the time comes for another spring clean, the majority of applications have made a siginificant upgrade, and you're better off starting again. So maybe make an image of your system drive only for emergencies - it can't hurt.

My G5 seriously feels like a new computer. I'm going to do the MBP when I'm home next week.

JR.
June 10, 2007 12:54PM
just putting audio apps on one drive and video apps on the other doesnt really gain you anything as a good deal of the crucial (and possibly competing/conflicting) parts will be installed on your boot drive - regardless of where the actual application resides...

the only way to get the true value from this is to install boot volumes on each drive and reboot from the drive set up for each intended purpose.
June 10, 2007 02:02PM
yep i am running protools tdm and fcp studio 1, i have never had a problem with performance. i have even ran the 2 at the same time.

i have a g5 1.8 dual 5gig ram. i use to only have 2,5 gigs ram i had some problems back then when running both apps but even then it was not abundant. now at 5gigs ram the tower is hardly working except maybe when i have a big render while bouncing to disk in PT.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 10, 2007 09:41PM
Hi Wayne,

Obviously my "Tiger installed on both drives" wasn't clear enough. smiling smiley

I'm rebooting for each process, and it works well. Easier to keep the system clean too.

J, I've only got an LE 002 rig at home. TDM uses a lot less of the G5s grunt (as you are no doubt aware). You have to manage everything very carefully in 002-land.
June 10, 2007 09:56PM
duh - im a dork! too much caffeine today i guess...
June 10, 2007 10:00PM
Also means that FCP doesn't load the AU/VST plugs that I can't NOT install with Garageband and a few of my RTAS plugs.

I guess the only downer is the 1 minute reboot time when working on a project that requires both FCP and PT, but I'm dealing with that OK so far. I think the improved performance wins out at the end anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics