DVcam 24 vs 29.97

Posted by James T 
DVcam 24 vs 29.97
June 11, 2007 01:20PM
Hey Guys.

So we are starting our Feature project on 35mm 3-perf, telecine to DVcam. We are ultimitly going to a DI with Film out.

We would like to never see a a pulldown conversion until dvd distro. However I was informed that Dv cam can not run at 24 it'll run at 29.97 and will require a pulldown in cinematools, is this correct?

If at first you don't succeed, keep ****ing it up 'till it works!
Re: DVcam 24 vs 29.97
June 11, 2007 01:35PM
That is correct. DVCAM runs at 29.97...period. If you telecine to DVCAM, you'll have to remove pulldown after you capture. The only tape formats that run at 23.98 and 24fps are HDCAM and D5.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 11, 2007 02:15PM
Thanks a bunch Shane

If at first you don't succeed, keep ****ing it up 'till it works!
June 11, 2007 07:09PM
I am editing a feature right now shot on HDCAM. I went through the whole to downconvert to not downconvert issue. Ultimately, I just rented an HDCAM Player (as opposed to player/recorder) the Sony J-H3 which was pretty cheap at $850 a week and captured into 720p DVCPROHD 23.98.

I would suggest just having your footage telecined to DVCProHD tapes at 23.98 NDF and then ingesting that. This will save you the pulldown problem and DVCPro decks are CHEAP! Plus you have the added benefit of cutting in HD and can easily produce high-quality dubs throughout the process. Just rent the deck for principal photography because once everything is ingested, you are good to go.

Also, I'm sure you know this but buy the tapes yourself and supply the telecine house with blank media. This can save you loads of money... figure about a $10-20 markup per tape and you will quickly see a huge a cost savings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics