Making Mono Track into Stereo

Posted by Brad Eisner 
Making Mono Track into Stereo
June 10, 2007 12:22AM
Hello Everyone:

... I have been left with only one audio track (mono) on my converted 24p stuff. If I want to make it into stereo again I was told by a Pro Care "expert" I only need Copy and Paste it into a second track below in FCP and it will now be stereo. I just wanted to be sure that this is correct before I edit the entire project this way. I am sure someone here with know.

Thanks.

Brad
Re: Making Mono Track into Stereo
June 10, 2007 12:32AM
well, thats half true (pun intended) you wont have a true stereo image, but you'll have the same mono track on both sides. youd be just as well off just panning that one track to center.
June 10, 2007 01:36AM
> If I want to make it into stereo again I was told by a Pro Care "expert" I only need Copy and
> Paste it into a second track below in FCP and it will now be stereo.

Yeah, the "expert" was being misleading...you don't get stereo sound by having the exact same mono track doubled up. You would have needed a true stereo source. Doubling a mono clip would only result in an increase in volume, which I would argue is better achieved by adjusting levels using the Levels controls and AUDynamicsProcessor. Why deal with two clips when you only need one? If it were a true stereo source, that would be different.

www.derekmok.com
June 12, 2007 01:40AM
Am I the only editor having difficulty panning single L-R tracks to center? I'm capturing them as discrete Ch1, Ch2 mono tracks.

What am I missing? It seems brain dead, but I cannot get either track to pan center in FCP 5.1.4.
I end up doing exactly this copy-paste dupe-track dance just to get center signal, or round trip it to Soundtrack Pro.

Do I have to capture as linked stereo pair to enjoy this? That doesn't seem right.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set Video Only In and Out with Control I or O !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 12, 2007 02:13AM
Really?

I select everything and press CONTROL-. (fullstop). No problems here. Works with both Dual Mono and Stereo Paired tracks.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics