Sync Problem

Posted by shelleyrae 
Sync Problem
June 14, 2007 05:39PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a weird sync problem going on. The sync on the footage mini DV footage I have captured is off by two frames. Some of this footage I used the log and batch capture feature and some of it I had to use "capture now" due to time code breaks. I know there can be problems with sync using capture now, but even the footage that I captured setting ins and outs is off two frames.

I tried saving as another project, and trashing prefs but no luck. Weird thing is when I go directly to the capture scratch folder and open it up there so that it plays in a Quicktime window, it is NOT out of sync - it plays fine. I've tried reimporting the captured QT files into the project but it still plays back out of sync from the project even though I've trashed preferences.

One note -- the footage was recorded on recycled tape (used one time before) --could that be the problem?
Re: Sync Problem
June 14, 2007 05:48PM
Are you by any chance looking at the footage on an external monitor but playing the audio back through a different device (or straight out of your Mac?). If the actual Quicktime file is OK then you may have mis-matched Audio/Video playback settings.

JK

June 15, 2007 07:09AM
I agree with JK its most likely that you are monitoring the audio or video differently. Its a common mistake to make.

To test go into the menu:

View>External Video>Off

and then

View>Audio Playback>Default

Make sure you have your Mac volume up or speakers or headphones attached then playback your footage.

Hopefully it will be in sync

If this is the case you simply need to make sure that your view settings are pointing audio and video down the same output.

eg: View>Audio Playback>Audio Follows Video

Then make sure you have speakers/headphones connected to the device you are using to monitor ie: a DV deck, Kona or Blackmagic card, etc...

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 15, 2007 12:29PM
Thanks, that seemed logical however I checked the settings as you suggested and it's still out of sync. This is an on going project so as another test, I opened an earlier sequence (created from different footage that was shot last month on fresh tape stock) and that sequence played back in sync. I also opened sequences from two other projects and they both played back in sync on the external monitors. I'm still baffled because like I said when I open the Quicktime file directly from the Capture Scratch folder, it plays back in sync on my computer monitor. Did I mention that the out of sync footage is also out of sync in both the canvas and viewer windows? What on earth could be going on here?
June 15, 2007 08:42PM
If you take that file to another computer, does it play in sync in FCP?

June 19, 2007 08:42AM
Shelley

Did you get to the bottom of this?

Did you try creating a new project and importing the clips?

Did you test the clips on another FCP suite?

Regards

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics