OT: Automate Illustrator paths to P-shop layers

Posted by Matthew Dillon 
OT: Automate Illustrator paths to P-shop layers
June 21, 2007 03:29PM
Anyone have ideas on the following:

A client has delivered numerous Illustrator files that we have to convert, ultimately, to SD PAL video. The Illustrator files all consist of a single layer made up of "objects" and "paths" (What I know about Illustrator could be inscribed in 12 pt on the rim of a soda bottle -- halfway decent with Photoshop, though). The Illustrator files are all laid out identically -- only the content changes from file to file. If I can get these paths as image objects on individual layers in Photoshop, I'd be 90% done. Actually, I *can* do that manually -- but there are 10 paths in each file and literally hundreds of files. So I'm looking for a way to automate this process.

I've tried Illustrator actions already, but (at least with my knowledge of Illustrator, see above) can't make this work. Open to Applescript/Automator ideas. Javascript would be a stretch, but I would try it.

If it matters, I have access to both Mac and Windows machines (but I'm not sure how recent the PC versions of Illustrator and Photoshop are).

For political reasons, I'd rather not have the client re-supply. We didn't give them a proper spec ahead of time (not my fault), and I'd like to just make this painless for them, anyway.

I can't post an example of the files due to confidentiality reasons, but would feel ok about emailing one to individual(s) who want to look at it.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Matt
Re: OT: Automate Illustrator paths to P-shop layers
June 21, 2007 10:51PM
You might want to try [www.creativecow.net] as they have Adobe forums there.
June 22, 2007 01:32AM
[there are 10 paths in each file and literally hundreds of files. So I'm looking for a way to automate this process. ]

I suspect you want Photoshop Actions, to automatically import an AI file into one master PS file, rasterize it-- a layer is created automatically-- import another file, rasterize it, etc. A carefully scripted Action should do it, and you'd have a ton of layers with an image object from each file. Something like that?

Import brings a file into an existing PS file, and should create a layer (or you prepare one, I forget, but that's scriptable too). Open merely brings each into a new file, you don't want that.

- Loren

Your professional placemat is served.
Now available:
After Effects 6.x
Boris RED 3GL
Avid ExpressPro 4.x
Final Cut Pro 6
Photoshop CS (8)
Illustrator CS (11)
FileMaker Pro 7
OSX Tiger/Safari
OSX Mail/AddressBook/iCal
Word for OSX

and very soon-- the FCS2 Power Pack!
FCP 6, Soundtrack Pro 2, Motion 3, DVD Studio Pro 4!
www.neotrondesign.com
June 22, 2007 05:00AM
Thanks, guys.

John - I know about the Cow, and will probably try them as well. I just like you guys better.

Loren - In Photoshop (CS3), the options I have under Import are
Variable Data Sets
Video Frames to Layers
Anti-Aliased PICT
PICT Resource
Annotations

... the first and last of which are greyed out. There's nothing that obviously says "Illustrator" or "eps" or anything. I have a feeling this may not work anyway because the Illustrator files are all one layer, made up of many objects and paths.

This image: [web.mac.com] shows the Layers palette in Illustrator (It goes on farther down, but I'm only interested in the paths at the top; the rest can be flattened to a single layer.) See how it's all in a single layer? Photoshop makes it single layer when I bring it in. Are you saying that Import will create a separate layer for each "sub-layer" (Not the proper term, I'm sure)?

I've already figured out how to Collect these paths into their own separate layers manually in Illustrator, but Actions will not record the step of selecting the next layer. I'm sure I'm missing something -- again, I'm a gimp when it comes to AI.

Hope this clarifies things. Thanks again for the help.

Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics