OT: Leasing a new Mac

Posted by John K 
OT: Leasing a new Mac
April 11, 2006 02:27PM
Just got the $0 interest offer from Apple for leasing a new Mac. 2-year lease with option to upgrade after 1 year. Just wondering if any of you are leasing your G5s right now and/or what you guys think of leasing versus owning. I'm generally not a fan of leasing; I own my car outright and all my gear so far, but I have to say I'm a lot pickier about my computers than what I drive! I'm not planning to go Intel until Adobe CS3 is out and the Intel G5s are v2, so I might as well buy that Quad now...
Re: OT: Leasing a new Mac
April 11, 2006 03:43PM
Leasing is renting a computer, car or house. Depends on what time frame you choose to use it. I think most leases charge about 10% per month or negotiated period and have an excess of nearly 40% when the term is due.

If you want to get a new computer every 2 years and don't mind paying a monthly payment, then maybe it will work for you. Me, I have every Mac that I ever owned/used since the early 90's.

BTW- I just sucked down a Quad - cause I want to avoid the Intel foibles for a time or two.
April 11, 2006 03:49PM
John K,

Screw the interest...Leasing is pi$$ing away $$$, IMHO. Buy a QUAD...it will last you 5 years (even among the Macintels).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 11, 2006 03:54PM
I suppose it makes sense for medium/large businesses, if they have to buy lots of machines and are constantly upgrading to new equipment. But for a small shop I suppose it's better just to buy them outright -- it's not like they don't pay for themselves, eh?
JK
April 11, 2006 03:58PM
yep. ive never seen it benefit a freelancer to lease a machine.
Re: OT: Leasing a new Mac/Quad Poll
April 11, 2006 05:57PM
Just read the thread-what do you guys n' gals think of the quad? Is it really really really fast? Are rendering time and other video/graphics processing times substantially reduced???

Marla-in-NY
April 13, 2006 02:39PM
I'm gonna lease one, at least until the dust clears. I do training as well as production so I need a G4 Laptop for now as I need my AE plug-ins for pro work and Studio Apps for training.

I cannot bring myself to purchase a MacBook Pro quite yet. I gotta wait until at least the next rev. Sure would love the speed bump.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics