MacPro Setup

Posted by CSCastro 
MacPro Setup
June 26, 2007 05:30PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a new system and wanted to know what graphics card I should have installed for mostly SD/possibly some HD (720p) cutting. As it stands now, I'm planning on a 2GB memory, 250 drive, twin 2.66GHz dual core, and 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. Should I up it to a Radeon X1900 or down it to just one NVIDIA GeForce? Cost is a factor, but I'd rather pay for it now than pay for a card and find that I should upgrade later. Thanks for any input.

C
Re: MacPro Setup
June 26, 2007 05:53PM
Hey CSCastro,

Why the need for Two graphics cards - are you wanting to run Four Displays from the mac?
It really depends on your requirements - if your going to be working a lot in Motion then the 1900 would be worth a look at - if your mainly just cutting in FCP then the 7300 should surfice.
June 26, 2007 07:39PM
I have an NVidia GeForce 7800GT and a Kona LHe installed in my Quad. I run 2 desktops as well as my 27" NTSC Monitor as a 3rd desktop when not in FCP. No need for 2 video cards if you get a Kona card.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 27, 2007 05:23PM
I am fully a Kona convert, but if you are mostly working with SD and a bit of HD I would suggest the Blackmagic DeckLink cards. Great in's and out's and compression codec's and is significantly less expensive than the Kona cards (since price is an issue). Now you are gettting software instead of hardware encoding, but it works quite well.
June 27, 2007 07:34PM
We'll agree to disagree there because that's exactly what I do everyday (SD with a little HD) with a Kona2 & a Kona LHe . Also you are forgetting Tech Support (awesome) & Warranty Service (3 year warranty for a Kona / 1 year for a Decklink).

Price should not be an issue when you are dealing with quality. If your Decklink card craps out in 13 months, you'll have to buy another. If your Kona craps out in 35 months, they overnight you another.

Aja wins - hands down, IMHO.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 29, 2007 03:08PM
Thanks guys! That's what I needed to know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics