Suggestions for a good HD (NTSC?) monitor?

Posted by Geno Andrews 
Suggestions for a good HD (NTSC?) monitor?
July 02, 2007 03:47PM
New to the HD world, cutting my first feature (1080i or p or 24p or whatever we decide...) but my current JVC monitor won't play back the footage from FCP.

Just need a voice of experience to give me the news. Which one, and how much?

Thanks in advance...

Geno
Re: Suggestions for a good HD (NTSC?) monitor?
July 02, 2007 03:59PM
Best way - Kona 3 capture card ($2800) and eCinema 34" CRT REPLACEMENT ($35,000)..or Sony's BVM line of CRT HD monitors (IF you can find one...$6000 to $35,000).

medium level way - Kona 3, LH or Decklink options ($1000 - $2800), and Sony LMD2050WHD ($3500) or Panasonic 1700W ($3300)...

Inexpensive yet very good way.

Matrox MXO ($995) and Apple 23" ($900) or Dell 2407 ($600)...and Eye 2 One or Spyder monitor calibrator tool.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: Suggestions for a good HD (NTSC?) monitor? More on the card?
July 02, 2007 04:12PM
Shane...

Our workflow is to use the P2 (hvx 200) cards to shoot with. Dump the files to an external terrabyte. (and back them up of course)

Create the Project file on set within the external drive. Create Bins and import scene footage as we go.

Get back to the office, hook up the drive to the G5 and start cutting.

Why the Matrox card? Why the Kona Card? I understand in the old days certain filters took advantage of the power of the Matrox but I've been doing all my projects n the box with basic cuts and dissolves. Why these expensive cards?

Thanks again in advance.

g-
Re: Suggestions for a good HD (NTSC?) monitor? More on the card?
July 02, 2007 04:24PM
Why the Matrox card? Why the Kona Card? I understand in the old days certain filters took advantage of the power of the Matrox but I've been doing all my projects n the box with basic cuts and dissolves. Why these expensive cards?

Because you are now working with HD. DV doesn't require this...it just plays out thru firewire thru the camera. Now, DVCPRO HD will play out via firewire too...thru a DVCPRO HD deck, but I thought that the $25,000 would be prohibitive, and something that you wouldn't be using anyway because you aren't shooting to tape. HD playback to monitors requires an HD card, and an HD monitor.

Why the Matrox? Because it is inexpensive and plays out to an Apple LCD 23" display...ACCURATE COLOR to that display. An HD monitoring solution for under $2000. Plus it can output to high end HD formats and even downconvert to HD formats. No RT boost, that was the OLD card. This box just outputs (all you need) and gets you the least expensive HD monitoring solution.

Why Kona? Because it is the best card out there, IMHO. Input and output of HD, and the ability (kona 3) to cross convert 720p to 1080p in realtime as it outputs. But, with this solution you cannot monitor accurately to the Apple 23" display. You'll need a true HD LCD or CRT monitor, which cost.

HD isn't cheap.

If you just want to look at your footage on a big screen...and don't need color accuracy, then get two computer monitors (two Dell 2407s or two Apple 23"winking smiley and use one for Digital Cinema Preview. It will be lower res, but still something to look at. But to get video out to external monitor requires an HD card or device...no way around that.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 02, 2007 07:52PM
Shane
Why Kona? Because it is the best card out there, IMHO. Input and output of HD, and the ability (kona 3) to cross convert 720p to 1080p in realtime as it outputs. But, with this solution you cannot monitor accurately to the Apple 23" display. You'll need a true HD LCD or CRT monitor, which cost.

those cards also do a real time down-convert to SD.
so you could use much cheaper SD monitoring.
you probably need to do that anyway if the show is winding up on SD,
(which may well be one of your delivery requirements.)
as you get more interlacing artefacts in SD

Shane, what are the downsides of monitoring in SD?
especially if this is an off-line edit.

nick
July 02, 2007 07:56PM
Downsides? None if this is just an offline edit. And none if you then downconvert and output directly to an SD format.

Good point.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 02, 2007 09:55PM
ok, then, here's another question:

if the colour spaces are the same,
what's to stop you from using a good quality SD monitor for CC of HD material?

nick
July 02, 2007 10:06PM
The color spaces AREN'T the same...that's the point. SD is 601, and HD is 709...I am not an engineer so don't ask me what the numbers represent...others will know. I just know that they are VERY different.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 02, 2007 10:13PM
and that settles that...
thanks, Shane.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics