Playback & monitor wierdness.

Posted by Phil UK 
Playback & monitor wierdness.
July 03, 2007 08:47AM
I am using Intel mac pro, FCP 5.1.4, Aja Kona 3 all set to uncompressed 8 bit...this job originated from HDV, I am editing in an uncompressed 8 bit timeline and I'm using a Sony HR trinitron broadcast monitor with only a composite out put. When I playback the sequence it all looks fine in FCP canvas and viewer but in the monitor the blacks are going light to a greyish hue. When playback is stopped on a frame the frame looks fine. This is the first time this has happened and only in this project.
Re: Playback & monitor wierdness.
July 04, 2007 02:49AM
Hey Phil

Have you checked the levels of the video using the scopes?

When playback is stopped on a frame the frame looks fine.

Do you mean on the Sony?

Also I seriously recommend getting the External monitor hooked up via SDI or component or S-Video at the very least.

Ben

PS I'm in the beeb today so may not respond very quickly!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 04, 2007 06:09AM
Yes on the Sony only when play is running. The waveform levels are fine, the canvas is fine the sony is foggy as if the bright level is hiked up.
July 04, 2007 08:33AM
> When playback is stopped on a frame the frame looks fine.

This suggests to me it's a software issue, not hardware. Check your render settings.

www.derekmok.com
July 04, 2007 09:37AM
Hey Phil

I think I know what it is...

The Kona could be set up to play out NTSC 7.5 IRE analog Black levels - check the Kona control panel and set the level to 0 for PAL

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 04, 2007 10:00AM
Hey guys, thanks for your response...I have had no trouble at all with the Kona 3..it is only this one project that does this - all other projects are hunky dory that's why its weird...I've checked and double checked.
July 04, 2007 10:02AM
So have you checked the Kona Output panel (software) to see if its set to 7.5 anyway? It should be on 0 IRE

July 04, 2007 10:08AM
Try opening the source footage in another project that doesn't do this and see if its a problem with the QT conversion of the HDV footage.

If it works ok then create a new project and copy the media and sequences over to the new project and save it.

Ben

July 05, 2007 06:32AM
Hey Ben...I have set Kona output panel to 0 IRE. No difference. I have expoted footage into a different project and it works fine on the monitor. Again Wierd...thanks Ben
July 05, 2007 06:08PM
before you copy paste into a new project,
try a simpler copy paste into a new SEQUENCE in your existing project.
it could be a sequence-local corruption. that happens

copy paste to a new project will break any master affiliate relationships you might have.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics