sending video to europe

Posted by Tony 
sending video to europe
July 19, 2007 01:47PM
I shot some DV 24P NTSC for a European client. They asked me to send to them as quickrtime files on Disk (DVD'S) They are doing the editing in France. What is the best way to save it. Should I be concerned about PAL or does not matter with Quicktime. There is not that much footage so it will fit on a couple of DVD.

Thanks,

Tony
Re: sending video to europe
July 19, 2007 02:13PM
> Should I be concerned about PAL or does not matter with Quicktime.

That's a question for them. If you convert to PAL for them, you would be the one investing time and/or software to do the conversion. Is it included in your budget? Are they going to handle the costs?

The other issue might be if you do the conversion and send them PAL clips, what happens if they're not happy with the results? Do you redo the conversion and resend?

Seems to me at the very least you should send them the untampered-with DV NTSC clips as well.

www.derekmok.com
July 19, 2007 02:37PM
And France has the SECAM system!

Better send them in NTSC and probably would be better if they edit in NTSC and then convert the final sequence to SECAM.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
July 19, 2007 03:08PM
Even in France, they edit with "PAL" settings. It only gets encoded to SECAM at the transmission stage. Up to that point (and in FCP), it is exactly the same as working in "PAL".

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
July 19, 2007 03:19PM
Ask them for specs. I wouldn't guess.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 19, 2007 05:55PM
<<<Even in France, they edit with "PAL" settings.>>>

What he said.

SECAM (after they got the bugs out) is a remarkably robust television transmission system. The received television picture could be almost totally garbage, but the lady's dress will be exactly the correct shade of red.

Unfortunately, in order to get that robustness, they had to abandon television production. You can't dissolve between two SECAM video signals.

Getting between 24 and 25 can be really interesting. They're too close together for interfield video tricks. The "conversion" is normally done by slowing one down or speeding the other up. This introduces sound sync issues.

What fun.

Don't do any more work on the show than you have to, and yes, do call (at the right time).
Let's see, it's 1600 in Los Angeles, that means, what, Midnight in Paris?

Koz
July 20, 2007 05:45AM
If you?re just sending them some DVDs (not a lot) you might want to consider using FTP or some other line-transfer method. At least, send them a clip or two so they know what to expect. This way any issues with conversion, framerate etc can be addressed immediately. You don?t want to keep re-sending those DVDs over and over again because they can?t get them to work.
July 20, 2007 05:53AM
As Martin said earlier SECAM is only the transmission in France but they edit at PAL settings.
So if you have to convert to PAL and your source is 24P (or 23.98P) just scale your source from 720x480 (or 720x486) to 720x576.
They can use a 24@25 setting or use it as it is and get a small speed/pitch change. But that's what they get from a telecine every day (if they ever worked with material from telecine)

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics