Garage Band clip

Posted by ldthompson 
Garage Band clip
July 19, 2007 11:46PM
Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to import a Garage Band audio clip into Final Cut Pro?
Thanks,
LD Thompson
Re: Garage Band clip
July 19, 2007 11:57PM
Export from Garage Band as Stereo, 16-bit, 48 KHz AIFF or WAV and open it in Final Cut. It should drop into any timeline unless you did something custom to the project.

Am I missing the question?

Koz
July 19, 2007 11:58PM
Final Cut may need to "Import" rather than "Open."

Koz
July 20, 2007 04:31AM
both will work:

OPEN
will open the file in a floating window that doesn't belong to any project.

as soon as you drag it into the browser, it's part of a project.
or as soon as you edit it into a timeline it's part of that project,
but just not in the browser, (so you could drag it from the timeline to the browser)

so open,
drag to browser, then from browser edit to timeline

or open
drag to timeline, then drag from timeline back to browser.
(you cant edit an "opened" clip into the timeline - gotta drag)

HOWEVER:
open,
drag from floating window to timeline,
then drag from floating window to browser
will result in no Master Affiliate relationship between the browser and the timeline version

IMPORT
will bring the clip directly into a projects browser.
from there you can edit it into the timeline.

don't get scared by this, LD.
i'm just talking about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin here...

cheers,
nick
July 20, 2007 12:09PM
<<<as soon as you drag it into the browser, it's part of a project.>>>

I had to do this recently which is why I suggested "Import." I couldn't get "Open" to work. Oh, I got the floating window representing the track in perfect order, but I couldn't get the track out of the window and into the show. I clicked and dragged until my fingers were numb and it didn't work.

(Remember when you face me, your lips should form the words "not an editor."winking smiley

Koz
July 20, 2007 12:32PM
Koz, you do know that audio clips can't be dragged from the Viewer unless you click on the "hand" icon to the right of the levels and pan controls, right?

Sorry, just had to rule that out! Dragging from the Viewer to the Browser has always worked fine for me. I prefer using Open instead of Import when I make my "tape output" project files, where I won't need the clip once the output is complete.

www.derekmok.com
July 20, 2007 12:50PM
<<<Koz, you do know that audio clips can't be dragged from the Viewer unless you click on the "hand" icon to the right of the levels and pan controls, right? >>>

I believe you [writing a note], but that's not the problem. When you open a track, you get a third floating window. Then what? I wasn't able to push the actual sound anywhere else, although I could push the window around all day long (and did).

Koz
July 20, 2007 08:00PM
as D says, gotta grab it from the hand icon.

that's the way it is with sound.

nick
July 20, 2007 11:44PM
<<<as D says, gotta grab it from the hand icon. >>>

Actually, he said I needed the hand to take it out of The Viewer. It isn't in the Viewer yet. It's in that Third Floating Window (TFW).

Koz
July 20, 2007 11:45PM
Besides, wouldn't that be The Listener Window?

Koz
July 21, 2007 12:05AM
> Actually, he said I needed the hand to take it out of The Viewer. It isn't in the Viewer yet. It's in
> that Third Floating Window (TFW).

Koz, it shouldn't make a difference -- you're right, a clip accessed by the Open command is technically not in the Viewer. But aside from not being affiliated with a master clip and not responding to the keyboard shortcut for Canvas commands (F9 and F10 for Insert and Overwrite, for example), such clips still behave like Viewer clips, by and large. You do need to click on the hand icon to grab, and you can access Canvas commands if you drag and drop.

www.derekmok.com
July 21, 2007 11:58AM
<<<You do need to click on the hand icon>>>

This is me clicking--or will be when I get back.

Do I sense a programmer getting stuck with an asset management problem late on Friday?

"Don't worry about it. Just make them use The Hand Tool. Come on, there's a lobster with your name on it waiting down at the Rusty Crab."

[sigh]

Koz
July 21, 2007 09:41PM
S'not a ruse. It looks like this

July 22, 2007 12:57PM
<<<S'not a ruse. It looks like this >>>

Oh, I'm sure it's not a ruse. It's a perfectly valid tool that shouldn't be there. When you do this exercise with picture, correct me, but you just grab the picture and push it to wherever you want it to go. When you do it with sound you have to go looking for a Special Tool to do the same thing.

Special Tools almost always means the tool was written on a Friday Night. That or "We'll go back and fix it later."

I recognize the symptoms.

Koz
July 22, 2007 01:10PM
> Special Tools almost always means the tool was written on a Friday Night. That or "We'll go
> back and fix it later.

I don't agree, Koz. This tool is there in sound clips because sound clips in FCP have many, many more scrub points (100 per second) than picture. That's why they've disabled the "grab anywhere" doctrine here so that you can home in on soundwaves by clicking on the waves themselves. Picture has no such need.

www.derekmok.com
July 22, 2007 06:47PM
in an audio viewer,
you need to be able to grab things: like the pink level line,
or the purple panning line,
or scrub along the ruler

now maybe there should be some MODIFIER that means you can grab the audio,
but that would be invisible,
and even MORE obscure that the hand icon.

(now that i mention it, try Option +Apple... but i don't think you'll be able to make an edit with that)
(and just for laffs, just try grabbing a picture when you've got wire-frame turned on and see what happens.)

nm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics