cropping QT files w/o black border for video projection

Posted by christoph Gelfand 
cropping QT files w/o black border for video projection
July 16, 2007 04:03PM
FCPS 2, g5 dual 2.5

Trying to output QT files for playback on video projector in normal NTSC 4:3 aspect...the projector will be hooked up to a PC and play thru whatever inane video player the PC uses...therefore it will be displaying more of the image than a normal 4:3 frame....

problem is: in my FCP project I shifted some images in the 4:3 frame using the Motion tab...thererfore when they are played in QT player or on a computer, or thru a projector (as in this case) the extra bits of the image off to the side and top and bottom that would never be visible on a 4:3 frame are now visible...

if I crop the image, then I get a black box around the outside...do I resize the output file in terms of pixels or do I have to create a mask in QT to play without a black border?

Please help.
Re: cropping QT files w/o black border for video projection
July 16, 2007 04:55PM
Not sure whether I understand your question.
If you export your timeline to QT you will get the same as you see in FCP -- no extra bits.
If you mean the black borders which may show up on clip in FCP as well you have to crop the source clip before exporting to QT.

Andreas
July 16, 2007 05:53PM
You have dug yourself a hole. Maybe two.

If you cover them up, you will have a thin (hopefully) black frame around everything. If you blow the image up slightly to hide the edges there is a very high chance the picture will become soft and mushy.

I see no graceful resolution.

Where did you get the idea that people would never view your work on a computer? I don't have a TV set. Everything's on a computer.

Action Safe is a recommendation only and only really critical on vacuum tube TVs. It's never a license to horse around on the edges.

Koz
July 16, 2007 09:11PM
You can crop the file in Compressor, if you don't want to do it in Quicktime with a mask.

July 17, 2007 01:13AM
i'd go back and just do a dodgy fix on the problem.

so you shifted an image across...
place the same image on a lower track, but not shifted.
tidy up the edge with a slight crop and feather of the upper track.
yes' there'll be a doubling up way down in the corner, but probably no one is looking there.
(for the same reason a slight change of black border may go un-noticed, anyway)

nick
July 17, 2007 01:55AM
<<<You can crop the file in Compressor>>>

Correct me, but won't that produce a non-standard video frame? If the projector is expecting 640x480 and you give it 600x450, won't you get the black edging anyway--or worse yet, the projector will throw up?

Koz
July 17, 2007 04:23AM
Yes non standard sized quicktime file, but it's being played as a quicktime, so size shouldn't matter. Not being shown as a dvd, where it needs to hit the marks.

July 29, 2007 08:50PM
I guess the crop in Quicktime or Compressor is the only solution... but no on EVER shifts images to get something out of the frame that they don't want? I'm just confused as to why this seems like such a surprise to so many people...

I feel like that's the whole point of the motion tab- to give the editor options. So if there's something in your frame then you can get rid of it!

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions they'd be welcome. I just don't think i've necessarily "dug myself a hole".
July 30, 2007 04:03AM
you can crop it all you want,
it's just those pesky QC folk who may reject your show.
(or may not)

nick
July 30, 2007 05:24AM
I don't think anyone is surprised. The point is that if you show something as a quicktime or on a computer, the whole frame will be exposed, so you can't rely on action or title safe hiding these things anymore.

If it's going on TV it's a completely different matter, although like Nick says, the quality control guys could hand it right back to you with a rejection note if they wanted to.

You could also blow up the picture just a bit to fill the frame. You'll lose parts of the picture on the other side, and the quality will be degraded, but depending on your project this may not matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics