WMV output and videos for the web

Posted by Ricky 
WMV output and videos for the web
July 27, 2007 12:38PM
I am working with Sony FX1 HDV footage.

Which ultimately ends up on the web.
So,
I am exporting to H.264 like some of you guys suggest.
That gives me a QT file.

My boss wants me to give it to them in WMV.

Ive never exported or outputted a WMV file.
Can i make this into an H.264 file then turn that into a WMV?
or what are your suggestions.

Thank you.
Re: WMV output and videos for the web
July 27, 2007 12:57PM
> Can i make this into an H.264 file then turn that into a WMV?

You never want to do that. That's double compression.

Either get Flip4Mac (must be a paid version -- a free demo would chop your export in half) to export directly from the editing timeline, or export a full-quality, self-contained movie file and then take it to a PC. Wayne or Koz may also have suggested exporting an uncompressed AVI and then using a Windows machine to make the WMV. Lots of hassle, though.

www.derekmok.com
July 27, 2007 01:00PM
We beat this up in a former thread:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Koz
July 27, 2007 01:37PM
Thank you,

I searched and read threw previous threads and under it looks like i will be purchasing Flip4Mac

I have downloaded the trial version which i am not any good with yet, and right now its not working.

But i want to make sure i am going in the right direction.

All i want is to give my boss a WMV file of the videos we are doing. So he can send it to his client in WMV form.

Is this a good solution.
If so I appreciate your info derekmok.

I will not be turning my HDV QT file into a H.264 QT its just better to go directly to WMV from HDV QT correct?

Will my work flow go?

Sony HDV QT file aka .mov

put that into Flip4Mac, adjust my size so its small enough for web, then Flip4Mac will output a WMV file i can send to my Bosses clients?

Thanks guys
July 27, 2007 02:55PM
<<<right now its not working. >>>

The free version is a player with almost no export tools. The Export tools get better and better as you pay more.

It is said that the Windows XP version actually looks better than Flip4Mac, if there is any way to go that direction.

Just about all convenient video formats compress and all video compression is destructive. Some quality is thrown away. So the less different compressions in your show pathway the better.

Koz
July 27, 2007 02:57PM
the thing with flip4mac (or ANY of the mac based wmv options) is that there is [as i recall] something wrong in the 2pass vbr process that generates funky green stripes and other artifacts.

and now there is some mismatched sample rate glitch if youve installed the latest version of quicktime.

i say if you have access to a windows machine - to just go that way. as derek said, it is a couple of extra steps, but from what ive been doing very much worth it.
July 28, 2007 04:59PM
Flip4mac has a bug since QT 7.2 was released. Looks like they are working on a fix:

[www.flip4mac.com]
July 28, 2007 05:00PM
Sorry - didn't finish reading Wayne's post before I posted. But at least I included the link...
July 30, 2007 09:12AM
Please tell me why it "isn't working." The free player includes the trial for all features of the Studio Pro HD. All parameters should work. Yes, your video will be cut in half and a max of 30 seconds I believe.

The 2 pass green shift bug has an EASY workaround. Drop the keyframe rate to every 1 second.
QT 7.2 did break the audio export. The workaround is to convert audio from 48khz to 44.1khz first and it will then encode. I'm beta testing the fix.

If you want a full featured compression app that can do Windows Media as well as a plethora of other codecs, try Episode. There's a free trial for that on the Flip4Mac site. Episode comes with a plugin for Compressor 3, so you have your choice of using either or both processing filters as well as qmaster.
July 30, 2007 04:07PM
thanks craig - all good info!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics