FINAL CUT EXPRESS - installation question

Posted by marlowe7 
FINAL CUT EXPRESS - installation question
July 30, 2007 04:27PM
I'm just installing a new copy of FCE HD 3.5 on my Powerbood G4. The specs say that Soundtrack (ST) and LiveType (LT) (16GB) can be installed on a separate disk. I'm having trouble accomplishing that.

I first installed the FCE application and unchecked ST and LT. Once FCE was successfully installed, I tried reintalling and selecting my ext. firewire drive as the destination disk. But, I got a message saying FCE had to be running on the same disk.

So, the question is, how can I install ST and LV on my ext. firewire drive?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

marlowe
Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS - installation question
July 30, 2007 06:05PM
All applications must be installed in the Applications folder of the boot drive. The content for Soundtrack and Livetype can be directed to another disk.
July 30, 2007 06:24PM
I hadn't realized LiveType was a separate application. There were, I think, two or three LT boxes available to check or uncheck. I'm asssuming, then, that I uncheck the LT content files and install the application on my Powerbook. Then, once that's done, I can set another destination drive for the rest of the LT content.

Does that sound right?

But, Soundtrack only had one box to check. There didn't appear to be separate application/content boxes to check.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks very much for your help!
July 30, 2007 07:35PM
I went ahead and tried again, and it still won't let me. At the point where I choose the ext. drive as the destination drive, it gives me a warning, saying "YOU CANNOT INSTALL FCE ON THIS VOLUME. THIS SOFTWARE MUST BE INSTALLED ON THE RUNNING SYSTEM"

Note that this warning comes up BEFORE the page where it lets me PICK what I want to install. I've already installed FCE, Soundtrack (app.) and Livetype (app.).

Any ideas?
July 30, 2007 09:05PM
I haven't really installed FCE but have installed FCP many times. Possibly FCE will not let you choose a different drive to install the contents for STP and LT onto another volume like Final Cut Studio does.??
July 30, 2007 10:11PM
Well, here's what it says on Apple's site regarding FCE system requirements:

? 500MB disk space for applications; additional 16GB for Soundtrack and LiveType content (can be installed on separate disks)

It seems they took care to point out that the 16GB can be installed on separate disks. There must be a way to do it...
July 30, 2007 10:18PM
> additional 16GB for Soundtrack and LiveType content (can be installed on separate disks)

That could be referring to only the sound files for Soundtrack's loops and the graphics files for LiveType. The applications would probably still reside in the system disk's Applications folder.

www.derekmok.com
July 30, 2007 10:24PM
I agree, that's exactly what it means. But, if you read my earlier post, I've already installed the applications. The installer won't let me choose a new disk for the sound/graphics files.
July 31, 2007 12:57PM
Do you have enough space to temporarily install the STPro and LT content? If so just go ahead install them on your main drive, then move them to the external drive. There are settings within those two programs to reference all the content off the new drive.

JK

July 31, 2007 01:13PM
Yeah, just barely, I think... So, you're saying just drag them to the new drive once they're installed on the Powerbook?

Well, that's the best suggestion yet, so unless someone has a better idea, I'll give it a try.

Thank, JK
July 31, 2007 01:32PM
Does FCE have a custom install like Final Cut Studio? If so you can do a custom install and tell the installer to put all those STPro and LT content files on your external drive. That way STP and LT knows where they are when you open the apps for the first time.

Or just move them and then tell STP and LT where they are in their respective preferences.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 31, 2007 01:45PM
I think I'll have to try the latter, Michael, because the installer simply won't let me select the ext. drive for only the STP and LT files. That is, unless someone can enlighten me on how to accomplish this...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics