Backwards Compatibility

Posted by thatfoolsean 
Backwards Compatibility
August 02, 2007 02:01PM
I have a quick question. I have Final Cut Pro 5, completely updated to the latest version of 5, and I am trying to work with someone who just got Final Cut Pro 6. Is there any way that we can easily share our files, so that I can just send him a Final Cut Pro file, and he can simply open it on his computer and make some changes and send it back to me? What is the level of cooperative work we can do in this setup.

Essentially, I would like to match our capture scratch folders, and do work from my home, and then send him my finished file, and have him fine tune cuts on his machine. Is that possible?

Thank You,

Sean Kearney
Re: Backwards Compatibility
August 02, 2007 02:04PM
There is no backwards compatibility. You are probably going to be better off capturing and organizing with FCP 5...then giving the other editor the file that will then up updated to FCP 6. Then exchange XML files of the cuts.

XML works really well.

And if you both have media on drives with the EXACT SAME NAME and organized in exactly the same manner, then there will be no relinking issues. Barring renders...those will have to be re-rendered.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: Backwards Compatibility
August 03, 2007 10:02PM
Have your FCP6 colleague Export>XML using version 3, which is supported in FCP 5.1.4 and up.

It's pretty good, recreates project, bins, sequences.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Apply a default AUDIO transition with Command-Option-T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics